For those accepted, what did you do to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everything I have read at this point on how to get into medical school can basically be summed up into the following. Get a good GPA, get a good MCAT score, having clinical and non clinical volunteering, research experience if possible, and don't act like a ***** during your interview. But this can't be all there is too it.

I actually did this a little bit and still got accepted

Members don't see this ad :)
@Mad Jack , don't you have some kind of opinion on this matter?
nGN9vV7.gif

My biggest recommendations!!!

1- DON'T RUSH THE PROCESS AT ALL!!!! Can't reiterate the significance of this. Don't look at your peers if they got a better MCAT score than you and you might have to retake or even reapply the next year. Don't rush through courseloads trying to take 18 hrs / semester (unless you really can AND be successful at the same time). Med school is NOT going anywhere. You have to submit a single, solidly remarkable application to be the strongest possible applicant you can be. If you think you have to retake a course, retake the MCAT, or take a gap year, then take the time you need. There's nothing sad to see someone rush through the vital aspects of the application only to end up even worse.

2- DO WHAT YOU LOVE!!! Your opening post lists things like some sort of protocol that you must follow if you are to be a successful medical school applicant. You don’t. The fact of the matter is, schools want to see your passion, your interests, and the intricacies that make you are revealed to them in your Activities profile as well as through your personal statement and recommendation letters. Don’t force yourself to volunteer at a hospital or a clinic if that bores you. If you’d rather volunteer with at the homeless shelter, do so!! Yes, its true you need both clinical and non-clinical activities, but even within the clinical activities, you can pursue the ones that reflect you. If you’re helping organizing blood drives, providing transportation to senior citizens, etc. it all counts. If you’re a gifted musician, singer, etc. and want to play for an audience at a hospital, clinic, senior center, hospice – do so! Figure out what makes you tick. Immerse yourself in activities that you truly enjoy doing. After all, this is the bread and butter for what will comprise your interview responses. You will always be asked why medicine! If your response is a trivial desire to help people without evidence to back it up, your interview will be an abject failure. If you cannot come up with concrete reasons as to why your profile makes you a competitive applicant, you will put yourself at a huge disadvantage. Prepare for all typical interview questions.

3- KNOW YOUR APPLICATION!!! Remember it can be months from your initial AMCAS/TMDSAS application to the time you actually receive an interview. Thoroughly go over your application. Look at the description of your activities. Remind yourself what important perception you want to give to the admissions committee member through your personal statement, optional essays, activities, etc. If there are deficits in your application, have a strong plan to address them. NEVER EVER MAKE AN EXCUSE. If times were challenging and you had to devote time away from some activities in order to excel academically, be upfront and honest. Remind them what you have done since that challenging time.

4- CONGRATULATE YOURSELF CONTINUOUSLY!!! This is probably the biggest. Be your own cheerleader! Remind yourself how far you’ve come and take great pride in knowing that you have embarked on one of the most difficult professions out there. Treat yourself (broadly defined) and be thankful to God/Universe for getting you here. Spend time with your friends and family. Just because you’re a pre-med student doesn’t mean you’re not allowed to have a life. Even Donald Trump has said that the most successful people are those that are happy and engaged with their friends and family.

All the best to you on your journey!!

Every interviewer intentionally makes a spoken grammatical error. It's your job to identify it, and make them aware of their mistake.

You can get in without doing so, but it's an uphill battle.

Reactions: 1 users
So many blowjobs... (fyi, I am a straight male)

But it wasn't all bad. I mean, the looks on their faces when I pulled off my wig and pointed out the hidden camera were pretty amusing.