For those considering UNC vs Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STsleeper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is UNC looked upon as the Duke reject? I'm not trying to start a flame war. I just want to know the general perception of the two programs in comparison to one another. Since the two programs are in such close proximity to one another, I can't help but think UNC's marketability is hindered by Duke's reputation -- not just to the lay public but possibly those in the field.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure how it translates into the job market, but it's my understanding that both programs offer excellent clinical training. Duke has a lot more research and the name probably carries a little more weight (whatever the hell that means), but when it comes down to learning how to take care of a patient they are both quite good.

While I didn't visit Duke (didn't apply), I did interview at UNC...it seems to me that they bill themselves as the "kinder and gentler" of the two area programs. I heard that the anesthesia-surgery relationships are far more amicable at UNC vs. Duke (where surgery absolutely runs the show). Excellent, approachable faculty and happy, friendly residents. The training looks great too. I certainly wouldn't view UNC residents as Duke rejects...will Duke's name get you further? Think that's very debatable...the residents at UNC electing to do fellowships go to very reputable places (Virginia Mason for pain, Boston Children's for peds, etc). Just my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. UNC is a great place to be. I was very impressed when I interviewed there....so much so that I went back for a second look. The residents are a fantastic group who are very close knit. In fact, most of them turned down "big name" programs in favor of UNC. I would steer away from calling any resident a "big name program reject". It's not very nice (rude quite frankly), and people choose their programs for many different reasons. I for one think UNC is better than Duke, and would choose UNC anyday.

FlindersGrad said:
I agree. UNC is a great place to be. I was very impressed when I interviewed there....so much so that I went back for a second look. The residents are a fantastic group who are very close knit. In fact, most of them turned down "big name" programs in favor of UNC. I would steer away from calling any resident a "big name program reject". It's not very nice (rude quite frankly), and people choose their programs for many different reasons. I for one think UNC is better than Duke, and would choose UNC anyday.

I didn't mean to offend anyone with that "reject" comment. I myself am strongly in favor of UNC. I just have some issues/hangups about it being so close to Duke (and relatively close to Wake). When people ask me which places I've gone to interview, I almost hesitate to mention UNC because I know the inevitable "What about Duke?" question will soon follow.