for those doing your own post-bacc program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blah354

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking 4-6 upper level science courses in the next year to improve my gpa. I already took the basic pre-reqs for med school. Great extracurriculars and good experience in hospitals/research.

Which classes should I start with and what combination of classes? How many per semester?
I have Microbiology, Immunology, and Genetics on my list. Which other classes are good? And would you take 2 or 3 classes while holding a part-time job? Or would you just focus on classes? I'm not sure what to do. I hear that I should work and take classes at the same time, but others have told me I should just focus on my grades. What are other people doing or What have others done?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking 4-6 upper level science courses in the next year to improve my gpa. I already took the basic pre-reqs for med school. Great extracurriculars and good experience in hospitals/research.

Which classes should I start with and what combination of classes? How many per semester?
I have Microbiology, Immunology, and Genetics on my list. Which other classes are good? And would you take 2 or 3 classes while holding a part-time job? Or would you just focus on classes? I'm not sure what to do. I hear that I should work and take classes at the same time, but others have told me I should just focus on my grades. What are other people doing or What have others done?
Thanks

if you plant to be full-time status (12 or more units), i would recommend against taking a part-time job. i presume you are trying to get your GPA up. if so, concetrate on classes at first. get your study skills in order before you put on more on your plate.

any upperdiv bio classes are good. some that i recommend: cell bio, human physiology, molecular biology, and biochemistry. you don't need to take all or any. if plant biology or ecology is your thing, it can only help.

:luck:

I decided to do my own thing for the upcoming year too. I felt like I had to keep harassing my school to give me overrides for my classes. Anyways, here's what I plan to take in the fall:

Infectious Diseases
Immunology
Human Anatomy
Pharmacology
Microscopic Anatomy

This is what I'm planing to take in the spring (if scheduling allows it):

Medical Microbiology
Human Anatomy and Physiology II
Pathophysiology
Neuroscience
Genomics

It's a lot, but I really need to boost my GPA up. I've never had trouble with course load. I've just had trouble staying motivated at times. I was going to look for part time work, but I think I'm going to save up money for the summer and take out loans for school that way I can focus just on the classes.