For those going to AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toohotinvegas33

Currently Glasgow 3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It appears they are finally shedding some light on how they will increase class size and 3rd and 4th year training.

http://www.midwestern.edu/250/

highlights
Clinical Rotations: AZCOM has signed contracts with core rotation sites in the state of Arizona that exceed the number needed for the class expansion. Please see the chart below.
AZCOM has added 173 new confirmed rotation sites to its 207 existing rotation sites, for a total of 380 sites with another 63 in development.
New rotations for Arizona hospitals include Banner System, Sun Health System, Scottsdale Healthcare System, Abrazo System, and Maricopa Integrated Health System
New rotations for rural hospitals include Yavapai Regional Medical Center (Prescott), Summit Healthcare (Show Low), Verde Valley Hospital (Cottonwood), Sierra Vista Regional Health Center, Kingman Regional Medical Center, Lake Havasu Regional Hospital
Additional rotation sites are available in Alabama, California, and Colorado.

Postdoctoral Clinical Training: AZCOM currently operates residency programs at Kingman Regional Medical Center (dermatology, family medicine, and emergency medicine); Sierra Vista Regional Medical Center (internal medicine); and Valley of the Sun Dermatology
Five additional residency programs are in development

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for this post, i was very curious about how the class size increase was going to effect AZCOM overall and when I had asked during my interview there were no specifics available. Thanks again!

the whole preceptor thing really leaves a bad taste in my mouth for some reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad I could help someone. It seems like midwestern is really put alot into this expansion..140 million is not pocket change.

What is preceptor and ward based?
thanks

the whole preceptor thing really leaves a bad taste in my mouth for some reason.

Preceptors are a part of osteopathic education, I believe even if we had our own large hospitals that we ran and had enough space in it for all the students they would use preceptors.

From what i understand preceptor rotations are generally in private practices and places like that where as ward based rotations are in hospitals. The difference is the variety of cases you will likely see and from what my friends at AZCOM say, ward based is generally better than preceptor, which is why you see people not too happy with the preceptor rotation situation. Correct me if im wrong here...

Edit: looks like the poster above knows more about it than myself

Preceptors can be in clinics or hospitals

I just intervied at AZCOM and they told us there is some PLB...any AZCOMer...here that can explain what classes these are for and how does it work with lecture...Thanks!

I just intervied at AZCOM and they told us there is some PLB...any AZCOMer...here that can explain what classes these are for and how does it work with lecture...Thanks!

If you mean PBL, there is some in the first year Physiology course.

Every unit (e.g. GI physiology) starts with a case opening where you are presented with a case history, relevant tests results, etc. Then your presentation group (20 or so people divided into 4 smaller groups) will come up with questions related to the case. Each smaller group(4 to 5 people) will be assigned questions from those that fit into categories like "normal physiology", "testing procedures", "treatment options", etc.

At the end of the unit, everyone will present their information.

It parallels the lectures pretty well and the cases are usually well researched beforehand and easy to present on. In my opinion, the worst topic to get is the normal physiology because it is so painfully boring to present and make interesting.

If you are gung-ho on a PBL heavy education, AZCOM is not the place. It does however, provide a nice break from the normal lecture routine and it gives you a chance to dress up every few weeks.

DocBR!!
ys i did mean PBL!!
and Thanks that helps clear it up!
I like the lecture and PBL mix at AZCOM .. :)

It appears they are finally shedding some light on how they will increase class size and 3rd and 4th year training.

Clinical Rotations: AZCOM has signed contracts with core rotation sites in the state of Arizona that exceed the number needed for the class expansion. Please see the chart below.
AZCOM has added 173 new confirmed rotation sites to its 207 existing rotation sites, for a total of 380 sites with another 63 in development.
New rotations for Arizona hospitals include Banner System, Sun Health System, Scottsdale Healthcare System, Abrazo System, and Maricopa Integrated Health System
New rotations for rural hospitals include Yavapai Regional Medical Center (Prescott), Summit Healthcare (Show Low), Verde Valley Hospital (Cottonwood), Sierra Vista Regional Health Center, Kingman Regional Medical Center, Lake Havasu Regional Hospital
Additional rotation sites are available in Alabama, California, and Colorado.

Basically, they've added some spots at small community hospitals that don't have residency programs. Not exactly earthshaking, IMO.

AZCOM has been trying to set up ward-like (i.e. not residency based) rotations at small hospitals where you participate with willing docs on the floors. For example, in surgery you can scrub with whoever and whatever you want, so long as an attending is willing to take you. On the positive side, you'd get to go to the OR a lot. On the negative, you would get less instruction in pre- and post-op care, preoperative evaluation, etc.

This is probably a better system than straight preceptor based rotations, especially if thy are run properly. I doubt AZCOM has the resources or the cooperation in the community to make this succeed on a large scale. Huge disclaimer: I am only speculating what AZCOM is doing, I don't know anything for a fact.

I would see this as a step up, but then I remember the new rules about staying in AZ for 3rd year, as opposed to how it used to be. Bottom line, until large numbers of spots are secured at gold-standard facilities (residency based ward rotations) AZCOM has a way to go. And they shoot themselves in the foot by keeping everyone in AZ.