For those in a pure PP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RO2019

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
How many patients on average do you typically have on treat? Trying to get a gauge here of what’s the usual. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

40 external beam patients on treatment right now, 2 SAVIs running, 2-3 SBRTs per day. Usually between 25 and 45 patients on treatment. I'm busier than most in our practice, however. I think most average around 25 patients a day on tx.

EDIT: I hypofractionate all breast and only have 2 postop prostate patients on treatment at the moment- urorads in town.

Last edited:
I would say 25 is a number we aim for, but I dont consider myself pp as I am employed by a community hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think 25 is the most common number these days. I used to have 35-40 regularly but that was pre-hypofractionation (it wasn’t that long ago that every breast and prostate was 30-35+ vs 15-20 fraction and even lung routinely went to 33-37 fractions ... sure SBRT reimbursement is more but not to make up for 35 fractions running on autopilot for the most part vs 5 fraction with direct MD supervision).

When you are evaluating jobs don’t forget to
clarify coverage - it’s one thing to jump from chief resident on academic service with only 6-8 consults per week and 20 patients under treatment to being on your own with 8-10 consults per week and 30 patients but you may be routinely covering your colleagues’s workload (hopefully not 15-20 consults in a week but most likely at least adding his 25-40 OTVs onto yours for the week).

I think 25 is the most common number these days. I used to have 35-40 regularly but that was pre-hypofractionation (it wasn’t that long ago that every breast and prostate was 30-35+ vs 15-20 fraction and even lung routinely went to 33-37 fractions ... sure SBRT reimbursement is more but not to make up for 35 fractions running on autopilot for the most part vs 5 fraction with direct MD supervision).

When you are evaluating jobs don’t forget to
clarify coverage - it’s one thing to jump from chief resident on academic service with only 6-8 consults per week and 20 patients under treatment to being on your own with 8-10 consults per week and 30 patients but you may be routinely covering your colleagues’s workload (hopefully not 15-20 consults in a week but most likely at least adding his 25-40 OTVs onto yours for the week).

Good point re: coverage. In our group if you have a partner in your clinic and they're out, you get the billing for all those OTVs.

Also, it clearly makes a difference if you get a cut of the technical - either by owning the machines or having a contract with the hospital. In those scenarios you can make the equivalent with a lot less on treatment.

40 external beam patients on treatment right now, 2 SAVIs running, 2-3 SBRTs per day. Usually between 25 and 45 patients on treatment. I'm busier than most in our practice, however. I think most average around 25 patients a day on tx.

EDIT: I hypofractionate all breast and only have 2 postop prostate patients on treatment at the moment- urorads in town.

Just so new grad don't get freaked out from what I recall from other posts OTN is some type of superstar who doesn't mess around (I believe he or she attends/hosts/started 5-7 tumor boards a week and is in a very forward thinking, large practice). That being the case one has to live in a large metro area and/or have an airtight referral stream to have a minimum of 25 patients and up to 45 on treatment in general but especially without prostate and while hypofractionating breast. I would have to pass out cigarettes, anti-sunscreen, and find patients in every corner of a 50+ mile radius to maintain those kinds of numbers these days.

I can't be the only one to wonder OTN: how many consults do you do in a week on average? How the heck do you maintain that number of patients on treatment in general but especially with hypofractionated breast let alone no prostate? Truly impressive!