For those interested in Pitt...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jargon124

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got back from my interview at Pitt Med. Some news and thoughts...

-they will be interviewing through March.

-Decisions will go out at the end of February, however, that is a tentative date. The dean said that they may need a week or two worth of leeway with that date, but they are trying very hard to get decisions out on Feb 28th. After that it will be rolling.

-Impressions (briefly): Pitt is a very good school, with a reputation to match and I liked it very much. THe faculty and administration seem very student friendly; student needs/concerns are taken seriously and addressed promptly. "They will bend over backwards for you" as my host said. The curriculum is interesting and most people love it, but even if you don't it doesnt matter - since they emphasize responsibility - that means you don't have to go to lecture/PBL if you don't want to and learn on your own if it suits you.

I stayed with three guys who were living in a house that they rented and they were very very nice. We all went out to a bar on friday night after my interview and got loaded. Gotta love that. Pittsburgh is not as bad as people make it out to be. I mean it's not NYC/SF/Chicago, but there is plenty to do and see and the people are friendly. Transportation is easy enough, you dont need a car - the buses are free for Pitt students are seem to work well. Housing is decent and eay to find in Squirrel Hill or Shadyside (nearby neighborhoods).

Drawbacks:

-population of the city is relatively old. There are not many young people outside of Pitt and Carnegie Mellon students.

-Also, Pittsburgh "is not a place to come to pick up women " according to one of my hosts:( However, he had a girlfriend so I don't know how much to take that to heart.

-I didn't like the PBL rooms, anatomy lab, or the lecture rooms. These facilities were dreary and didn't seem like a particularly great place to hang out or spend time. I guess they are not supposed to be, but other schools' facilities were much nicer.

Anyway, I'll stop now, email or private message me if you have any questions...Thank god, I think that was my last interview! Feels good! :)

Members don't see this ad.

good to hear your impressions were mostly positive. Looks like MiamiMarmot and I are starting a Pitt Med fan club, you wanna hop on? :D

So where does Pitt fall in your rankings of the AZ schools?

Hmm, well, so far, my list of school preference (with respect to the schools I have interviewed at) goes something like this...Although I am not really sure that this is indicative of where I will end up going in the event I have to choose between Columbia/Sinai/Arizona...Pitt was cool, but for me, it wasnt worth turning my state school down.

1. Columbia
2. Sinai
3. Arizona
4. Pitt
5. NYU
6. Einstein
7. Rochester

Also, keep in mind I turned down interviews at Temple, GW, Georgetown, and UMaryland, all of which I would rank lower than Rochester...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yo, I am all about Pitt. My question, for anyone who knows, is if its possible to get in-state residency for tuition purposes after the first year. If so, how do we do it??

No, it's not likely that you can get resident status. See the "Pitt Med survivor guide" they give at the interview...near the end of it there is a blurb about your question...bottom line: plan on paying out of state tuition all 4 years.

Hey! Just to let you know, as a Pitt undergrad... There are plenty of places to meet us women (grad and undergrad included). The Med students that I hang out with and know don't really hang out much up at the medical school (to study) But there are plenty of other places on campus to hang out and study (and meet women) :-?

~Mylaina

Mylaina,

That's good to know. Very good to know.

And most of us know that there is life outside of medical school, and we do know where bars are, and have parties, and and and....

But if anyone is coming out here and needs someone to show them around, let me know, or if you have any questions-- [email protected].

Oh, boy did that make me sound stuck up that I was a medical student already. Well, I'm an undergrad and I hang out with grad and med students and undergrads alike. :)

Hey Mylaina,

'Sup, girl?? I may take up your offer if I am accepted to Pitt Med at the end of this month. I know this is a horrible, un-PC question to ask...but how attractive is the Pitt student body over-all?

LOL. Well, if they all look like me, then I can say they are hot. Just kidding. Umm, it's pretty typical- we have the sororstitues, the pretty preppy girls, the atheletic pretty girls, the average girls, the nerdy girls, etc etc etc.

I think that it is the same mix as everywhere else (undergrad-wise there are a pretty good ethnic diversity). But my friends in the medical school are engaged and/or on steady relationships. ;-)

Oh- I will only be around here this year (if people need a tour or whatever) and hopefully only until July when I head out to school!!