for those of you who have already applied...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUpremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those of you that have already applied to dental school, if you took ecology courses, did they count towards your BCP gpa?

The reason I'm asking is because I haven't heard a solid response from the AADSAS.

also..any thoughts on whether or not these courses would count towards the BCP gpa? parasite ecology, zoology, and evolution of medicine (all under ecology at my school)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

My major was Fisheries Biology, so I took a lot of classes that were not strictly "biology", but still biology in a broader sense (including fish pathology, invert. zoology, fish physiology, etc.). I was perplexed with the same issue. If it is a biological science I entered it as biology. Here is why.

When you enter your coursework on the online AADSAS application, you select what subject the course would be best classified as (physics, chemistry, biology, english, or non-science). Second, certain universities list ecology as a biology course, while others may list it as a zoology or just an ecology class, but so I think it is fair to select biology.

I have only been invited to one interview so far, but there hasn't been an issue with how I completed my application.

Perhaps if you have a helpful pre-health advisor you can meet with, he or she may corroborate this.

Hope this helps.

I took Stream Ecology as an ecology requirement from my Biology program and it counted towards BIO on my bcpm. The course listing for my class was BIO317 and so it was easy for my case I guess. I would count them as BIO......

Members don't see this ad :)
the health profession advisors at my school are pretty incapable when it comes to dental school apps

see, i figured ecology would be classified as biology, but the course would have an ECO heading as opposed to a BIO heading..

I know that ecology is defined as a sub-discipline of biology and focuses on the study of life, organisms, and the environment. It has to be classified as BIO. I seriously do not think it can be argued any other way.

At my college, ecology was under the biology department. I would list it as biology on AADSAS even with the ECO prefix.

it only counts as part of the bcp if it has the BIO prefix. My microbio didn't even count since it was MIC301. You can enter it as bio if you like, but aadsas will not include it in your bcp when they receive your official transcript.

so the aadsas emailed me back and according to one of the transcript evaluators even though ecology is in a separate department it is still counted towards the BCP...

so i'm not sure why your microbio course didn't count even though it is a branch of bio