For those of you who have taken the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MuskieMan33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I can't decide when I should take the DAT. I've seen some people say as soon as possible and to spend the summer studying. I'm just wondering for those of you who have taken it, what would you do? I was either thinking of studying towards the end of next semester so I can take it in early summer (May). Then some say I should wait til August so I have the summer to prepare.. I could always start preparing a little earlier in the semester so I can take it end March/ early April (so studying wouldn't fall around finals). I would either be studying during the spring semester or around summer classes. I'm just trying to decide now because I'll still have to get my DAT material and spend time studying. Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

I chose to take it in August because I knew I would have more time to dedicate to studying. I only wanted to take it once (as should everyone) so I gave myself the time I thought I needed in order to do well.

It is an advantage to have your DAT done by June along with your application but that only stands true if you do well on your DAT. My advice is to prepare for it and don't take it till you are ready (even if that means waiting another month or two). :thumbup:

If you are going to be taking summer courses anyways and can't devote full time to studying for the DAT, I don't think it will make a difference for your score to take it early or in August. The advantage to August only exists if you have 2 months to devote to the DAT full time.

Well I looked at the dates for when classes start and end, and I would wind up having about 8-9 weeks to the DAT if I waited til August. I just couldn't decide if I should wait or not since applying early is better than later in most cases. I'm debating on applying next cycle because of gpa also. It's not stellar, but depending how this semester ends and how next semester goes will determine if I apply or not. I appreciate the input guys! Also, Philippines I'd like to say thanks for what you do on your blog. I like to read it when you post new things! Thanks again guys!