For those that bought a house in 2006 or 2007

Started by VuDOo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

VuDOo

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I started residency in 2007 and I remember that there were some good discussions about renting vs buying. There were also people that were going with interest only ARMs and other non-traditional mortgages.

How is the market in your area? Are graduating residents having a tough time selling?

There are still two residents that graduated in 2008 that haven't sold their homes yet and three from this year. I have a feeling that 2010 is going to be much, much worse for those that have to sell.
 
I'm not sure specifically about residents, but in the country in general, the housing market's pretty bad, and in the state where I live, the economy is horrible, so the housing market's that much worse. Hopefully, you only have one mortgage on your house. But I can almost guarantee that in order to sell your house now, you're going to have to accept less than what you paid 3 years ago. Which means you're either going to have to short sale it or fork over a wad of cash to the bank to pay the difference.

Unless you live in a fluke area of the country, you will have a tough time selling.