Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

For those who graduated--what you are doing?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by lady in red, Sep 13, 2001.

1. lady in red

lady in red Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have just graduated in June and since then have been involved in the admissions crap full-time. I don't know what should i do--more volunteering, research (only have 1 exp.), or work in biotech? Take more classes?
    What do you guys think or what have you been doing? :confused:

2. Barton

Barton Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I graduated last december. I have all my pre-reqs completed, but my GPA isn't to hot. I am applying right now, but I am also taking extra science classes post bacc at my university. I am doing this in case I don't get in this year. I am taking 14 credits of science classes. I figure this will help me out if I don't get in this year. Of course, all this may be in vain, cuz I now have 2 interviews (Minnesota and SLU). I'll keep my fingers crossed.

3. Drako

Drako Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Six months before graduation, I landed a job in the IT field. After graduation, I continued on with my job and am still working in that position. The beginning of this year, I started doing academic research (paid position). I still volunteer at two places, a hospital and a local clinic. On the weekends, I photograph people and places; sometimes for fun, sometimes for money. Everyday is filled and that is how I like it.

4. lady in red

lady in red Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks for your input. I had straight A's in all of my pre-meds and upper bios, but my overall GPA came out to 3.77. I think I blew the August MCAT (verbal for sure), i just lost my cool. So, i don't think it would make sense for me to take more bio classes. What do you think? I am trying to get into a lab to do research, but its so freaking difficult to get ANYWHERE in the San Francisco area, even as a volunteer!
    Good luck with your interviews! Both of you are doing the right thing.
    All the best,
    lady in red

5. Wednesday

Wednesday Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Lady in Red,

There are lots of biotech jobs in the East Bay and on the peninsula (MP and RC) especially if you have a lot of biology background. Look into temp companies that specialize in science professionals.

Best of luck.

6. kspillman

kspillman Member
    7+ Year Member

I graduated in May of this year and have been basically working on admissions stuff, too. I did take a trip to London after graduation (Cool!). I am working two part-time jobs and plan on taking some dance classes. I am NOT taking anymore academic classes. I took a year off to take a break. I am also going to Africa in April of next year to do medical missions. If you want to work in a lab that's cool but I say do something that you definitely want to do! Have some fun before you bury yourself in books!
    KIM

7. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

I am working full time in the same lab job I had for a year during my senior year. Worknig full time on this and basically the secondaries are another parttime job. That's all folks :)

8. StitchEM

StitchEM Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I graduated in may 2001 and I am a park ranger and a public health and hospice volunteer