1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

For those who graduated--what you are doing?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by lady in red, Sep 13, 2001.

1. lady in red

lady in red Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have just graduated in June and since then have been involved in the admissions crap full-time. I don't know what should i do--more volunteering, research (only have 1 exp.), or work in biotech? Take more classes?
    What do you guys think or what have you been doing? :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Barton

Barton Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I graduated last december. I have all my pre-reqs completed, but my GPA isn't to hot. I am applying right now, but I am also taking extra science classes post bacc at my university. I am doing this in case I don't get in this year. I am taking 14 credits of science classes. I figure this will help me out if I don't get in this year. Of course, all this may be in vain, cuz I now have 2 interviews (Minnesota and SLU). I'll keep my fingers crossed.

4. Drako

Drako Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Six months before graduation, I landed a job in the IT field. After graduation, I continued on with my job and am still working in that position. The beginning of this year, I started doing academic research (paid position). I still volunteer at two places, a hospital and a local clinic. On the weekends, I photograph people and places; sometimes for fun, sometimes for money. Everyday is filled and that is how I like it.

5. lady in red

lady in red Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks for your input. I had straight A's in all of my pre-meds and upper bios, but my overall GPA came out to 3.77. I think I blew the August MCAT (verbal for sure), i just lost my cool. So, i don't think it would make sense for me to take more bio classes. What do you think? I am trying to get into a lab to do research, but its so freaking difficult to get ANYWHERE in the San Francisco area, even as a volunteer!
    Good luck with your interviews! Both of you are doing the right thing.
    All the best,
    lady in red

6. Wednesday

Wednesday Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Lady in Red,

There are lots of biotech jobs in the East Bay and on the peninsula (MP and RC) especially if you have a lot of biology background. Look into temp companies that specialize in science professionals.

Best of luck.

7. kspillman

kspillman Member
    7+ Year Member

I graduated in May of this year and have been basically working on admissions stuff, too. I did take a trip to London after graduation (Cool!). I am working two part-time jobs and plan on taking some dance classes. I am NOT taking anymore academic classes. I took a year off to take a break. I am also going to Africa in April of next year to do medical missions. If you want to work in a lab that's cool but I say do something that you definitely want to do! Have some fun before you bury yourself in books!
    KIM

8. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

I am working full time in the same lab job I had for a year during my senior year. Worknig full time on this and basically the secondaries are another parttime job. That's all folks :)

9. StitchEM

StitchEM Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I graduated in may 2001 and I am a park ranger and a public health and hospice volunteer