For those who want to practice or those who are practicing - job search?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted106747

I'm a 1st year student, and I think I might end up practicing. I was wondering if anyone here can tell me how one goes about finding a job? Looking in the classifieds in different areas I don't see as many jobs listed as there are rumored to be openings. Someone else told me these processes are "internal." Can anyone shed some light?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not yet out, but i've been told that most people start building their practice while working another job. You need to build a referral network and get your name out. I have seen options to split office space, so that could be an option.

Building practices and networking is one area of consulting i'll be working in....so when you get out, drop me a line...and i'll help you get you up and running. :laugh: (See...networking!)

-t

If you aren't already, join the the state psych association where you are now and where you feel you will likely want to practice -- you're lucky if they are one and the same! :) Every association offers sharply discounted student affilate rates (usually between $15 - 35/yr)

There could be a long and loud debate about whether it is worth your while to join APA (or, more specifically, its student division, APAGS). But well worth considering is joining the APA division(s) which represent the area(s) of psychology which interest you. Again, they are are discounted membership rates.

Get on their EMail listserve. Lurk for awhile and then start asking questions.

If you can at all, attend/present at state/regional/divisional/national conventions. (I started my college teaching after chatting someone up at an APA luncheon.)

This is indeed a profession built upon networking.

And, the "classifieds" for the profession are pretty much found nationally in the APA Monitor, and locally on the websites/newsletters of state associations. APA has actually started a new Monster-style career website, called, appropriately enough psycCAREERS (http://psyccareers.apa.org/).

There also is a chance, depending upon the size of the institution, that your internship will recruit you for a staff position upon completion. (The federal Bureau of Prisons is well known for doing this!)

Good luck.