For URMs particularly African Americans how reliable is the aamc table A-24.2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kinjin24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think that all of the AAMC data is pretty/relatively reliable, especially considering that they are putting more emphasis on inclusion and diversity within their mission and stats. However, use it with a grain of salt. Those with lower gpas also tend to have lower MCATs, and both affect your chances (tho I think MCAT more so) of acceptance. I was not high in either, but I applied broadly (like 25+) and had a very solid application and experience. Just know yourself and your odds, and give yourself the best footing.

Also, try to look through all of the AAMC stats, especially the more updated charts so it can tell you about the latest MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
do you think you can see if my list is okay, (24 MCAT 3.7 GPA) I'm an AA male, college football player and go to UNC (NC is state of residence) Ive basically done service and research in baltimore for the NIH in rough areas, those are the schools I'm aiming for (urban medicine) I don't feel like typing everything else but just assume everything else is competitive
List:
Morehouse
BU
Tufts
Temple
Loyola
Tulane
Indiana
ECU
UNC
UMD
UCLA/Drew
Miami
Rosalind
Rush
GW
GTOWN
Pitt (reach)
Quinnipiac
Drexel
NW (reach)
VCU
Wake Forest

Is this too top heavy you think? Thanks!
Side note: some powerful ppl are writing me LOR's and have looked through my PS...i have a very good story

What's your actual MCAT? It's not out of 45 anymore. Regardless, Indiana is a state school so unless you have ties I don't think it's worth applying. Make sure you're applying to your state schools and all HCBU's

Reactions: 1 users
do you think you can see if my list is okay, (24 MCAT 3.7 GPA) I'm an AA male, college football player and go to UNC (NC is state of residence) Ive basically done service and research in baltimore for the NIH in rough areas, those are the schools I'm aiming for (urban medicine) I don't feel like typing everything else but just assume everything else is competitive
List:
Morehouse
BU
Tufts
Temple
Loyola
Tulane
Indiana
ECU
UNC
UMD
UCLA/Drew
Miami
Rosalind
Rush
GW
GTOWN
Pitt (reach)
Quinnipiac
Drexel
NW (reach)
VCU
Wake Forest

Is this too top heavy you think? Thanks!
Side note: some powerful ppl are writing me LOR's and have looked through my PS...i have a very good story
Yes it is top heavy

could u explain

I think what @sb247 means is that your list seems to have too many reach schools, especially considering your MCAT. You also need to really consider applying DO. You have a few good ones in your area if I remember correctly from my time in the South. Your GPA is fine in my opinion, but your MCAT may get you screened out at a lot of schools. Also, I agree with @Nathan17182 about applying to all schools in your state & HBCUs (where I think you will have a pretty good chance). I'd also add schools in your region as well; you have some pretty good ones that show love if you are from close by.

Have you applied before? Is the 498 your only MCAT, and are you willing to retake it?

EDIT: Also, it's okay to apply to schools where you don't necessarily match up stat-wise. It's your time and money, and it's up to you where you want to spend it. However, please use your MSAR wisely; it can guide you in the right direction to where you will be best received. Oh, & you can compensate somewhat with earning way more volunteer, research, and/or shadowing hours than you think you need so do not slack on experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
As others have said, your list just has too many schools that would be considered reaches for your MCAT score. I would look at the MSAR and if you're not within 3-5 points of the 10th percentile, then it will probably be a reach. As @CUatthefinishline said your 498 will probably get you screened out at a lot of places. In my opinion, you should retake before you apply, even if it means taking off a cycle. With a 3.7 GPA, you should be able to do way better than a 498.

Reactions: 2 users

Last edited: