Forced withdrawal, what to do next

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsclepiusChiron

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was basically forced to withdraw my 2nd year or face dismissal. Looking back I might have had a chance to appeal if I were dismissed, but because I voluntarily withdrew I can't be re-admitted unless I re-applied, and the dean wouldn't say it was likely for me to get back in.

I was on academic probation when i got very sick, and ended up doing terrible on a round of exams with virtually no chance of passing, so it was either withdraw or dismissal hearing.

Currently I'm teaching/tutoring MCAT, taking a harvard extension school Pathophysiology course for undergrad credit (only open enrollment pathology course I found), and will be volunteering soon.

I know I can handle the course material, I was doing well that semester until the illness and was doing well on uworld. I was thinking of retaking the MCAT in November, apply to SMP's that's heavy in 2nd year courses (pharm/path/MMI) to show that I'm capable of doing well, and then apply broadly to MD/DO and see where that takes me. If it doesn't work out then I would probably re-apply to med schools, but also apply to PA/AA/Pharm schools the fall after, although this would leave me with a glide year.

So timeline would be:
2013 Fall: Start SMP, apply to MD/DO
2014 Fall: SMP finished, in glide year, try to find a research job using the SMP degree (MS in medical science or biomedical science), apply to MD/DO, and also PA/AA/Pharm

What do you guys think the liklihood of this plan? I emailed a few admission offices of US allo schools, asking if they would consider me if I did well on SMP with M2 courses in Path/Pharm/MMI. Some of them won't consider me. Some would if I can get in their SMP, but they were all 1 liners or "yes" so I'm not sure how much weight I can place on that.

Also, any MD or DO SMP you guys might recommend? I know BU MAMS is highly regarded, but BU med school won't be considering me, and it's a 2 year program. So I was considering EVMS / Tulane pharmacology / Toledo / Cinci / MississipiCollege for MD SMP's, will email a few other MD SMP's like Loyola/RFU next week, as well as all the DO SMP's.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So why didn't you take a leave of absence if you were sick? Most people who can't complete course work due to illness do this. This strikes me as a very odd and rare reason to get dismissed. Especially if this was the first class/semester you failed anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think touro-com in new york has an SMP program

I will look into it, thanks!

So why didn't you take a leave of absence if you were sick? Most people who can't complete course work due to illness do this. This strikes me as a very odd and rare reason to get dismissed. Especially if this was the first class/semester you failed anything.

I was already on probation from first semester, needed to pass everything in second semester when I became sick. School wouldn't allow me to take leave of absence, I was given an extra day to prep for the midterms but still did terribly

Some schools are less lenient than others. It's possible that one bad semester can get you dismissed, depending on how many things you failed.

OP, if you check out the osteopathic forum and do a search for a poster with the handle Bones DO, you can find out which DO schools will consider someone in your situation. Good luck to you!

Some schools are less lenient than others. It's possible that one bad semester can get you dismissed, depending on how many things you failed.

OP, if you check out the osteopathic forum and do a search for a poster with the handle Bones DO, you can find out which DO schools will consider someone in your situation. Good luck to you!

Thanks, I read that thread and will contact RVU this week and see what they say.