foreign degree vs prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avrelian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can i go to pharm school if I have MS in biology from a foreign university? or I have to go for prereqs anyway? How long would it take to get them? thank u

Members don't see this ad.

The requirements will take you approximately a year and a half to complete. Some school do accept international courses but they will require you to take the science courses here in the US.

First, you will need to send your credits to a transcript services company such as Josef Silny or WES (they are the most popular) once you have your course by course evaluation you might contact the school you are planning to apply and find out with them which course are Ok and ask directly to each school if you need to repeat and/or retake other classes, However, not all schools will accept your international transcripts, so you are in disadvantage compare to other people. On the other hand, re-doing the pre-reqs will give you more opportunities, but it will cost you time and money. Anyway, the fact that you have a master degree will demonstrate them that you have a wide background within the field. Good Luck:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
a year and a half-- at how many hours per week? Its sad and wierd-- my degree works fine for PhD in molecular biology but it isnt good enough to replace 6 months of basic biology studies at the community college to go to Pharm school.

Also, does anyone know what is a an applicant/student ratio for pharm schools? How many people are fighting for how many places?

Usually there are over one thousand application per year, and only 200 are accepted