foreign language in personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bridgestone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i want to discuss my experience in a war torn country. a few french phrases. should i just write them in english?

Members don't see this ad.

i want to discuss my experience in a war torn country. a few french phrases. should i just write them in english?

I had one simple Spanish phrase in mine that was easy to translate with the context I set it in. Don't do more than one (maybe two) and make sure the reader would understand what it means without you explicitly having to tell them.

If your'e good enough of a writer, you should be able to have foreign phrases and interpret them throughout your piece. I always think it's really cool when there's some foreign flare in a Personal Statement.

If you're comfortable with it, and that's really what you want to write about, go for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
If your'e good enough of a writer, you should be able to have foreign phrases and interpret them throughout your piece. I always think it's really cool when there's some foreign flare in a Personal Statement.

If you're comfortable with it, and that's really what you want to write about, go for it!

I agree! Bonne chance OP!

im not a native speaker or completely fluent, but i lived in a french speaking nation for 3 years and learnt it in school for 10 years. too bad i couldnt live there longer as i would have been pretty darn good. but i've had it checked by my former french professor to make sure its accurate

Okay so your fellow premeds are sabotaging you... probably not on purpose. At the most I would put in a SHORT phrase and thats it. And only if it adds to the story of the personal statement. Make sure the phrase is correct and captivating! If its just thrown in there then don't put it in. Also, make sure its easy to translate or that you explain it without "out right" translating it. Most people reading your essay will not know how to speak French. And they will certainly not want to take the time to translate. I think writing about your time in a war torn country is an EXCELLENT idea, but keep the French to a minimum... especially since its not your first language or a language you speak fluently. Knowing phrases in another language will not be impressive (no offense). Half the kids who apply know another language (Spanish, French, German, Hindi, Cantonese, etc). I know its not your intention, but more than one short phrase, and you will look like you are trying to show off. That room is better used explaining more about why you want to go into med school.

Just my two cents.

im not a native speaker or completely fluent, but i lived in a french speaking nation for 3 years and learnt it in school for 10 year.....
You should maybe stick to english, and when you do, be careful. I don't think your use of "learnt" is correct.

thanks ill just stick with a few phrases. and when i said that i wasnt a completely fluent speaker i was just being as honest as i could.

you have never heard of "learnt"?

Unless they are familiar phrases, I would avoid throwing in another language (like throwing in "como estas" is no big deal).

Or, if it is easily translated by context, then maybe you could use it. Have several non-French speakers look over it.

Personally, I wouldn't. But if you do one of the two things above, then you should probably be ok.

you have never heard of "learnt"?

Most people use "learned."

seems like my use of "learnt" is a british thing from what i see online.

yea i've changed it up.