Foreign Language Requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

therealdeall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody I was wondering how important it is for pre-meds to fulfill foreign language requirements.. For my school we are required to take a placement test in the language we took in hs to place us in the appropriate level, and i'm wondering if med schools would rather you start from the beginning and do well in the class or should i try my best on the placement test to perhaps skip spanish 1 and start at spanish 2. At my school three semesters of a language are needed so I don't know how i should approach this issue

Members don't see this ad.

Med schools won't care one way or another about foreign language classes. Just do what you need to do for your university's degree plan. From my own personal experience, if you can skip a semester of spanish, do it.

Med schools don't care about foreign languages unless you are multilingual, which you wouldn't get in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
why wouldn't they care though...realistically don't they want possible physicians to be able to communicate through different languages you know?

Taking language classes in college does not equal fluency, or even real-life proficiency for that matter.

Sure, the med schools would like it if you are truly bi- or multi-lingual, and if that is the case, by all means include it on your application and it will enhance your appeal. Just don't think the 3 semesters of academic spanish you are referring to is going to make you stand out or help you communicate fully with the spanish-only patients you will see. The schools won't care either way whether you place out of Spanish 1.

why wouldn't they care though...realistically don't they want possible physicians to be able to communicate through different languages you know?

Even majoring in a language won't give you any meaningful level of fluency.

X

Last edited:
although i trust what others are saying, is there anybody that tends to disagree with what is being said or if anyone has anymore experiences it would be appreciative to hear them.

although i trust what others are saying, is there anybody that tends to disagree with what is being said or if anyone has anymore experiences it would be appreciative to hear them.

The AMCAS app allows applicants to note fluency in a language other than English. So yes, med schools like to see this, but "fluency" is a very high standard that few people achieve through college courses alone.

In the larger scheme of things, I don't think that failure to have fluency in another language counts against applicants. But I am fairly sure that my fluency in another language boosted my app, but mainly because of the experiences I have had living in a foreign culture - I was asked about this at almost every interview.

yeah but idn if this is a stupid question are you/are you technically fluent (able to list it as fluent) if you took 3 semesters worth?

My language fluencies were brought up at all my interviews as well. I expected for someone to test me, but they didn't. I guess they took my work experience as evidence enough.

What languages do you speak?

I can speak Spanish and French pretty well, but there is no way I would ever be comfortable conducting an interview in French.

OP: taking Spanish even if not as requirement would be a good idea since it's practically the second language of the US. Studying abroad is even better.

yeah but idn if this is a stupid question are you/are you technically fluent (able to list it as fluent) if you took 3 semesters worth?

Fluency is the ability to function at a high level without difficulty in reading, writing, and speaking.

It is a high standard, and it is highly doubtful that 3 semesters of a lang will put you at that level.

Everyone has a different definition for fluency.

The official definition (from the OED) is "A smooth and easy flow; readiness, smoothness; esp. with regard to speech" in other words you can speak without ever having to stop to think.

I highly doubt one can be fluent after 3 semesters of a language, but it really depends on how much you use it outside the classroom. If you use it a lot for close to a year, then it is definitely possible to be fluent, especially if it is a relatively easy language to learn.

so is what everyone is saying mean that med school adcoms only care if you are fluent in the language, and really don't care if you took it in college?

sry for the unclear nature of that last post

Ok so is the over consensus here stating that med school adcoms will only REALLY care if you are fluent in the language (with taking language classes)

as opposed to

one just taking three semesters of a language and not exactly expressing fluency?

And also, does anyone know as far as when you take a placement test do med adcoms see/know like how you performed on them or is it just credit given on the transcript? Like for example, if i were to place out of the three semester language requirement how would they know that/see that?

And also would it look good that i was able to place out of all of them is that like a self-explanatory thing like he got exempt that means he's good at it?

so is what everyone is saying mean that med school adcoms only care if you are fluent in the language, and really don't care if you took it in college?

Correct. The only box you can check is for fluency.

sry for the unclear nature of that last post

Ok so is the over consensus here stating that med school adcoms will only REALLY care if you are fluent in the language (with taking language classes)

as opposed to

one just taking three semesters of a language and not exactly expressing fluency?

And also, does anyone know as far as when you take a placement test do med adcoms see/know like how you performed on them or is it just credit given on the transcript? Like for example, if i were to place out of the three semester language requirement how would they know that/see that?

And also would it look good that i was able to place out of all of them is that like a self-explanatory thing like he got exempt that means he's good at it?

ADCOMS will only see what is on your transcript. Placement tests do not show up on any transcript I've ever seen or heard of. You seem to have a lot of enthusiasm but you are not going to be able to go through the next couple years worrying about how EVERY decision you make may affect your chances at getting into med school. Do well, pick a major you think is interesting and get involved in some extra-curricular activities that you think you will enjoy. That is my advice