Foreign Language

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLABruin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a sophomore in the fall and am thinking about starting my foreign language requirement. Any ideas on what would be best to take? I took Spanish in high school, and passed into Spanish 2 on the diagnostic test that I took for UCLA. Would a different language be better? I am thinking that Spanish would probably be the most useful, especially in CA, but I would like some opinions on this. Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I vote for Spanish :) Take it until you're fluent, especially if you live in CA! :D

Yes, I definitely agree that Spanish is the way to go. I took Spanish in college and really wish I'd taken more so that I could communicate with patients. No other language is nearly as useful in California.

Members don't see this ad :)
like the others said spanish is the most useful especially in cali, but would taking a language most students don't take make your application stand out. im planning on minoring in arabic, even though i know spanish will be more useful for medicine in the usa

taking another language might make your app stand out, but that's only going to help you for about a year of your life. if you live and work in CA, and several other parts of the country, knowing spanish will help you out for the rest of your life. ucla, you've already taken some spanish classes. if you enjoy it, i say keep going.

Spanish will be very very useful.

Spanish will be ok, but I personally find French more satisfying.

If you want to keep your GPA up, Spanish. If you want to stick out, Japanese.

I went to UCLA in the mid-80's and majored in East Asian Languages and Cultures (kind of on a whim...I'm a white male and had no Asian background/experience). It was unbelievably fascinating and I ended up teaching English in Japan for a year in 1989-90. The only problem was that it significantly lowered my GPA! If I had stuck to a more traditional major like history or poli sci, I would've finished with a 3.7 or 3.8. Because of Japanese, I finished with a 3.3!!

You probably won't take it now, huh?