foreign language?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwtaylor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've begun to study spanish this summer. i intend to go as far as i can with it and work towards fluency. my question is, how do adcoms regard fluency in a foreign language? especially spanish? i plan to learn it regardless just because i can read the writing on the wall and know that speaking spanish will help me better treat and interact with a growing population of americans. plus being bilingual is never a bad thing.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're starting to study Spanish this summer, do not worry about fluency. That is years and years away, if ever. Do not check the box on AMCAS.

That said, a second language is a good thing, and Spanish is usually a safe bet. Taking a two week medical spanish class has much less value than being able to actually carry on a conversation. Good for you.

well i dont expect to be as fluent as a native speaker by the time i apply in 3 years, but i do have a 4 year background in it and it mostly a matter of brushing up and getting more advanced. fluency is definitely my goal though. in fact multicultural competence is just a major imperative for me. id love to apply to a school in or near a city that has a major spanish speaking population. because fluency is nearly impossible without conversing with someone else. i live in podunk town and people here rarely even use an intelligible form of english.

I started taking Spanish when beginning an informal post bacc a few years ago. I don't know yet how favorable it will look while applying, but I know from the shadowing I've done that I will certainly be able to use it. Fluency is years away if all you're doing is taking college classes, but this isn't your only option. I took three semesters of Spanish and then went to Guatemala last summer for language lessons and volunteering. When I returned, I couldn't function at the levels of the doctors I was shadowing, but could understand nearly everything. Plus, the volunteering in a foreign country was rewarding and will look good on my app this summer. It was also a bargain and tons of fun.