Foreign-matriculated student applying to US med school

Started by pohu0511
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pohu0511

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this is very specific question, but hoping if anyone can give me some opinions. I went to a medical school in Vietnam and graduated back in 2017. I immigrated to the US shortly after, and due to some personal circumstances, I didn't decide to pursue residency but instead getting a bachelor's to get in the biotech fields.

It did take me some time to realize that I still want to practice medicine. I took the MCAT last month and got a 515, and I am going to apply this cycle. I know previous matriculation is a huge red flag so looking for advices. Going to call some medical schools on my school list to see what their policy is on this matter.
 
Tbh I don't know why any school would take someone that already has a MD. You're probably better off trying to get certified to apply for residency and go primary care.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you a resident of the US?
I have US citizenship. I wasn't so sure about pursuing medicine again until more or less a year ago. With how step 1 became pass/fail and how far it's been since my graduation (6 years), pursuing med school seems like a better bet.