foreign medical student wants md/phd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Non-US med

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there,

I'm a caribbean-born student studying medicine in the Caribbean and I want to get into the MD/PhD program.
I don't have a bachelor's degree, but I have advanced level certification(British A-levels), no SAT's or MCAT's
I don't have any research experience but I am bright, quite enthusiastic and highly motivated and I'm about to take USMLE step 1 having completed the Basic Sciences Curriculum.

could some suggest a school in the US I can get into based on this info.

If not, what about research opportunities for non-US students.

Enthusiastic Foreign Med student
 
Why do you want a PhD? How do you see getting both degrees fiting in to your career goals? If you don't have any research experience, how do you know research is right for you? Ignoring all of the other factors (international student, no MCATs, no bachelors, etc.), you'd still need years of research experience to even have a shot at getting in to md/phd programs.

There are other people on this board who know about international students applying for md/phd programs (and you can find a lot of info by doing a forum search), but to my knowledge the requirements for international students, if anything, are harder than for US applicants. It would seem to me that not having MCATs or a bachelors would make getting into a US md/phd program impossible.