Foreign PreMed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bosox781

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question... I was reading the licensing requirements for my state (ma) and it said you need 90hrs of undergrad from a US school to practice medicine in the state. does this mean any of the premed programs such as the one SGU offers would make it so i could not work in my home state once im through? there are a few other carib schools that offer the premed option, but im concerned as to whether i would be able to practice in MA once im done. I work with a FMG who did a similar option in India and he says its cool as long as the school requires some sort of premed option and is accredited in the US. any clarifications about this? guess it wasnt really a quick question after all! sorry :)

Members don't see this ad.

You currently a US Citizen or resident? If so I would recommend that you go to college in the US first because its an experience you'll not get anywhere else. When I was looking at applying and getting the MD as fast as I could I was looking into options such as this but listening to advice I decided to remain in the US and finish my undergraduate career and I am glad I did so.

The other main reason I say this is that you havn't event applied to US schools and even though SGU has a good program I would not make it my first choice for school (unless you are older such as in your 40's and 50's.) Only apply to foregin schools as a last choice not a first one. You will be at a disadvantage when it comes time for residencies.

One more reason is that it is expensive to go to SGU as you can't get financial aid and must taje everything out in loans. It is much cheaper to go to your state school and pay their in-state tuition than going to SGU and that can add up to 100K or more just for the pre-med program let alone the debt (I'm looking at 250K for Med) you will acquire for med.

Saying all that I finished up my undergrad and I'm now headed to SGU after I applied and was rejected from US schools and even though I spent money on applications, travel expenses and what not during the application process I am glad that I did it otherwise I would always would have been wondering if I could have made it in a US school rather than going to SGU, but that's just me.

I urge you strongly to reconsider your plans on going to SGU for premed and if you doub't me then check out the forums over at http://www.valuemd.com and the people there will tell you the same thing that I just have.

My $0.02

heres my deal. im all about guarantees. i like the idea of being able to work hard at their premed program and KNOW for sure that i have a spot. my chances of getting into a US med school are probably not that good. i have some really bad grades that are on my record from 4-5 yrs ago. i wasnt ready for school and simply blew it off for a while but kept coming back for more to keep my parents off my back. im working on correcting that now because it has destroyed my resume. im taking 5 classes this summer (all are make up) in attempt to build my gpa back to a normal level.. getting into US allopathic is probably out of the question due to that. my grades are definitley a poor representation of my ability. i suppose i was a late bloomer in school. im 22 going on 23 now, and im extremely motivated to get moving. like i said, im taking 15 credits this summer and 3 science classes with labs along with calculus. i figured if i can make it through that, then i should be ok as things progress. my main concern is licensure once im done. i know SGU is very well known and respected and they offer the premed->med transfer option. that seems to be the best offer. as far as money goes, that shouldnt be a problem for me. if i get in, im sure i can come up with it somehow... whether it is begging, borrowing, or stealing ill get it. haha

Members don't see this ad :)
bosox781 said:
heres my deal. im all about guarantees. i like the idea of being able to work hard at their premed program and KNOW for sure that i have a spot. my chances of getting into a US med school are probably not that good. i have some really bad grades that are on my record from 4-5 yrs ago. i wasnt ready for school and simply blew it off for a while but kept coming back for more to keep my parents off my back. im working on correcting that now because it has destroyed my resume. im taking 5 classes this summer (all are make up) in attempt to build my gpa back to a normal level.. haha

This is still no reason to do your pre med at SGU. It will cost you a fortune and you will still be in the same position as having done your pre med in the U.S. Don't worry the Carribean option will still be available to you once you finish your pre med in the U.S.

If you change your mind you will still have the courses you completed in the U.S. to apply to some other graduate degree.

i did the math and it would run about 200k without spending money put into the equation. i would most likely place into year 3 of their premed program. So it would be 1 extra year on the island. i guess the big issue for me is this:

1.having uncertainties about US MD schools (my first 2yrs of college were absolute crap and i think that may tarnish me no matter how well i do now)
2. SGU is the best carib school and if i do well in their premed, i dont have to worry about getting into their med school.
3. no mcats (thats just a little sarcasm, but its true!)

Deep down i know you guys are right.. i suppose its just me trying to take the easier trip! i still have plenty of time to weigh my options. I'm taking 5 classes this summer and then 3 sciences with labs and calc. next semester. im going to just hold off til after that to make my decision. thanks a lot for the insight.

do yourself a favor- do premed in the states. do yourself a favor- do premed in the states. If youre looking for an easier trip now, seriously reconsider the medicine thing. im now 10 years from when I went to med school nearly and I'm still thinking of boards. There is no easy way in this field. Either committ yourself and accept delayed gratification, or take another route. its best in the long run.

If you dont do well in premed, you dont need to spend the time and money going carib to find out youre likely not going to make it. There are always schools that will take you anyway but they are unscrupulous and dont care about your time or money so long as youre giving it to them. I will say this; sgu will at least make you meet prereqs before you move on so as to not keep you in the system advancing without a chance of ever practicing medicine just so they get your cash.

As far as state regulations go- again, dont take the easy route and ask a bunch of strangers on the net. Take the right one and go to the source and contact the state of mass.
steph

i fully understand the benefits of staying in the US. i think i kind of misspoke there though. im not trying to take the easy road. if anything, the SGU premed would be harder, but it would guarantee me a seat. i havent sent in any applications, i was merely looking for a little advice before getting too carried away. as far as the schools that will take anyone, i would not go down there unless it was SGU. i know there are a few more that have premed, but i would not trust that at all. im totally planning on finishing up here in the states, i was just curious about the carib premed deal. although it may not be the best, i will admit it is very tempting.