Foreign PT Degree vs. DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jp1223

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So posting on here trying to get some feedback on the options I have for PT school. I am a US/UK dual citizen so applied to schools in both countries and I have been accepted to schools in both. Now, as far as I know the US is the only place doing the DPT and most other countries are some form of bachelors or equivalent. The program I have gotten into is an accelerated Masters, so instead of a 3 year program the school has made it a 2 year.

I am trying to weigh my options between attending a school here in the US or in the UK. One of my large motivating factors is the cost. At the US school I am looking at around 100K in loans, about 25k a year (75k in tuition alone) plus I'd say around 8-10K living expenses for rent and everything else. And that's the cost to attend my alma mater, instate but living away from home. For me, the costs for attendance in the field are excessive now, but it is what it is. However, the other option is better financially. In the UK because I am a citizen also, the tuition is nearly paid for by the government. Basically I am looking at saving 80K, which is a large chunk of change. I would have minimal tuition costs, and my living expenses would be minimal because I will be able to live with family while attending there. I have a few concerns though.

My main concern is the ability to come back and work in the US if I wanted. The degree in England is currently a two year masters program, similar to what the US had up until the DPT conversion. From what I have read I would have to apply for accreditation, and once (if) approved I can sit for the state boards... I believe that is the current process. I wont have any Visa issues or anything like that since I am a US citizen too.

The accreditation process to me seems like its sort of at the discretion of the company accrediting though. So I feel like there could be some discrepancies that would require maybe a few more courses were I to come back to the states. That doesnt seem an issue but I am just fearful that if I attend overseas and come back that I could be completely shut out and told im unable to ever be accredited here. I cant see that being the case.

So I kinda am just looking for some feedback on what you all think. Im fighting a tug a war battle between the costs and the process it will take to come back to the US and work. Also, would love to hear from anyone that may have already completed the process of being accredited from a school in england. Any feedback on the topic that could help me make a decision would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

At first glance, it seems like you hit the PT school lottery....Have you directed this question about the doomsday scenario (completely blocked from accreditation) to a state licensing board?:

https://www.fsbpt.org/FreeResources/LicensingAuthoritiesContactInformation.aspx

Hey, yeah at first its seems like a good option but the technicalities are a bit awkward. I have spoke with the APTA, FSBPT and the Florida State PT Boards all who basically told me its an option and I'll just have to apply for accreditation and possibly have to make up a few courses, then sit for the exam for licensure. This is something I am okay with so long as I will not be completely blocked like you mentioned. Saving 80k is pretty alluring even if I will have to tack on another year of remedial work and maybe pay for some extra classes before being approved for accreditation.

The licensing authorities basically told me that the accreditation process if different from school to school but coming from a UK school there will be differences that will need to be sorted out in the professional education. My general ed will be okay because it is from a state school.

Just a hard decision to make because we cant predict the future and know if in 3 years whether foreign trained therapists will be accepted in the US anymore. I hope that isnt the case.

Members don't see this ad :)
In Connecticut I knew a PT from the UK that was so frustrated by the process of getting a US license that she just went back for an associates in respiratory therapy. Don't know why her situation seemed so much more difficult, just figured I'd toss you an anecdote.

I'll just have to apply for accreditation and possibly have to make up a few courses, then sit for the exam for licensure.

Be careful with this "make up a few classes" I don't really know any PT schools that allows students to come in and just take a class or two, you would probably have to do a transitional DPT program or something. Personally I think if your gonna practice in the US go to school here, if you're gonna practice in the UK go to school there (mainly because I have heard it is such a pain to get licensure transferred). Regardless, best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
In Connecticut I knew a PT from the UK that was so frustrated by the process of getting a US license that she just went back for an associates in respiratory therapy. Don't know why her situation seemed so much more difficult, just figured I'd toss you an anecdote.
Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know when she graduated PT school? The FSBPT has a series of coursework evaluation tools that differ from dates of graduating meaning criteria for accreditation is different for different grad years. The process is a bit of a nuisance so I've heard, but saying that, I would save about 60k. Worth the hassle? That's what I'm trying to weigh up.

Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know when she graduated PT school? The FSBPT has a series of coursework evaluation tools that differ from dates of graduating meaning criteria for accreditation is different for different grad years. The process is a bit of a nuisance so I've heard, but saying that, I would save about 60k. Worth the hassle? That's what I'm trying to weigh up.
60k is less than a year's earnings. You'll probably put more than a year into sorting this out.

Be careful with this "make up a few classes" I don't really know any PT schools that allows students to come in and just take a class or two, you would probably have to do a transitional DPT program or something. Personally I think if your gonna practice in the US go to school here, if you're gonna practice in the UK go to school there (mainly because I have heard it is such a pain to get licensure transferred). Regardless, best of luck!

Thanks for the input. From what I've gathered from speaking to different credential agencies the courses needed are usually online remedial ones for content that is missing. Not actually full courses like neuro, anatomy, or phys for example. And surprisingly you actually have to be accredited first before you can even try for the tDPT. It does sound like a pain though. Definitely a tough decision between taking the expensive clear cut route or taking the much cheaper pain in the neck route.

60k is less than a year's earnings. You'll probably put more than a year into sorting this out.

True. The program is 2 years overseas however. And that 60k would take more than a year to make up in wages unless I pumped the whole years salary into it. I'm going to try and gather some more information on the whole process before I make a decision. Hopefully someone on the forums here has gone through the process and could shed some light on their experience.

True. The program is 2 years overseas however. And that 60k would take more than a year to make up in wages unless I pumped the whole years salary into it. I'm going to try and gather some more information on the whole process before I make a decision. Hopefully someone on the forums here has gone through the process and could shed some light on their experience.
Good luck, whichever way you choose to proceed.

jp1223 - I am curious as to what you decided. I am in a similar situation.

Hey. So I haven't fully 100% made my mind up but I am leaning towards England. After doing a lot of self research, getting advice off of current PTs I work with (foreign and US trained), and calling up the different PT agencies about accreditation over here I felt more assured about going over there. Of course it will be a process coming back to the states for accreditation but I am willing the make up the courses needed, at the worst having to take the tDPT course offered by U of St. Aug.

Weighing it up I figured that saving close to 70-80k beats the hassle of accreditation. I know the education over there is going to be quality and the training will mirror well over here.

Overall, I am strongly leaning towards going to England. I hope that help, good luck on your decision too.

Mass General Hospital also offers a tDPT program!