Foreign school not listed w Stafford - Loan options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LocutusofBorg

Asklepian Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of last week I've got a major problem. I am slated to begin medical school in Southwestern University (MHAM) in Cebu, Philippines this June. This school is WHO and ECFMG approved, and eligible for licensing in all 50 US states. However, this school is not listed with Stafford, and therefore, is ineligible for federal student loans.

I applied and was initially approved for a private student loan with the International Education Finance Corporation (http://www.iefc.com/). However, last week they DISCONTINUED their international program funding. As a result I'm left without a viable financing option.

I need help, ideas. I don't need to borrow much money - Just 10K per year would suffice. Using relatives is not an option in my case. Personal loans from banks all have repayment periods of 4 to 6 years with no deferment option - and therefore, useless. I will encourage the dean of my school to get recognised by Stafford - but the process is lengthy and uncertain.

Can anyone recommend a loan company that would consider a medical student in my school? Does anyone know an alumni association or an organisation with a vested interest in supporting American students obtaining their degrees abroad or in the Philippines that would either give helpful advice, or even provide me with a loan?

Lets get creative... I don't want to sell Balut to pay tuition...

Members don't see this ad.

sorry about your situation man. I can't help you though. That's part of the reason why most people want to go to US schools.

To have a chance of getting into a US med school id have to spend 2 years doing a Masters. Thats not the most direct path to medicine that I can take, and therefore, it's not an option. Also, my record is not indicative of my preparation. I've done ok on the admission tests (32 MCAT, 95 NMAT), and I've devoted the whole year now to studying med school subjects - ana, physio, histo, etc. Im more than ready to begin, even if my crappy (2.5, with 12 failures) GPA doesnt show it, even if I didnt clock any stupid volunteer hours, even if I can't get more than 2 profs to write me strong reference letters, even if I dont have the time or money to waste on more "pre-med".

Im set on my path. Now, anyone have any idea how to finance it?