jdwmont

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone here have experience working for the US Foreign Service? I've been curious about this career path for years.

BubblesnBugsDoc

7+ Year Member
May 27, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think you can go be a doctor for embassies, but you have to be primary care and willing to go anywhere (I think). Sometimes the jobs are regional and you have to travel to a few different embassies and make rounds to several countries. Seems like a cool lifestyle if your family is in for it. Might want to look on the Department of State website.

Sep 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I think you can go be a doctor for embassies, but you have to be primary care and willing to go anywhere (I think). Sometimes the jobs are regional and you have to travel to a few different embassies and make rounds to several countries. Seems like a cool lifestyle if your family is in for it. Might want to look on the Department of State website.
Can you tell more about it? Like there is the description for regional medical officer on the internet, but I don't understand what exactly an embassy primary care doctor is doing? Lets say a worker of an embassy comes to you with chest pain, would u recommend him a local cardiologist/hospital? What about nonclinical duties?

And is it competitive to get that job or they'll take just about anybody?