1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Foreign Trained Dentist

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by dwanjiru99, Oct 11, 2002.

1. dwanjiru99

dwanjiru99 New Member

I am a foreign trained Dentist and would like to practice in the USA. I am told that I can practice in Minessota after passing the Boards. Can anyone give me more info on how to acquire a practising license in the USA?. I am also interested in General Residency programs which accept foreign trained dentists. Any ideas??

Thank you
    :D

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Stephen Ewen

This is very interesting, since it would be new info to me if non-US trained dentists could practice in MN by simply writing the boards, and w/o first undergoing a US program designed just for foreign trained dentists. Please post more info here as it becomes available to you.

4. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I'll move this to the International Dentistry forum, you might get more helpful responses there.

5. merl

merl Member

Hi,

As this is newly introduced by minnesota boards no one knows clearly what reqiurements are to be met. U have to call the boards to know more info regarding this.

6. pri

pri New Member

Hi

i've heard that they want ndb1 ,2 toefl and a practice of five years.To be verify !

Patrick

7. guru

guru Member

Hi dwanjiru
    pls go to dentalboards.state.mn.us/foreign.htm

8. pkm

pkm Member

hi
    is it true that a foriegn dentist should have a five yrs of clinical exp/.. to be considered by MN state dental board?
    and guru where did u get in?

9. indiandentist

indiandentist Member

Hi,
    i think u can find about minnesota licensure from the old threads.
    Have a nice day

Indiandentist

10. starwars

starwars Senior Member

hi, u need to take part-1,2,toefl and a work exp of atleast 18 months within the last 3 years.....also u have to submit the proof of that exp ...like pay stubs,reco letters,etc check it out in detail on their website.

11. dentaldoc

dentaldoc Senior Member

18months of work experience in their native country?

This seems to be a pretty good deal for a foreigh trained dentist :D
    actually easier than going through California bench exams :smuggrin:

12. drchirags

drchirags New Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi I am a forigen trained Dentist. Looking forward to give my Eligibility Exam conducted by the Asscociation of Canadian Faculty of Dentistry. ACFD.

If there is any one who has given this exam please guide me.

If any one has to sell reading matirial then do contact me at [email protected]

I am willing to buy the model question papres also.

thanking you.

Dr. Chirag.

13. PocasDent

Pre-Dental
  14. DrAaron

Pre-Dental
  15. santy

Post Doc
    Dr. aaron
    this program is valid only in california according to there website. do you know anybody applying for this program and it's authenticity.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. bob vallecilla

Pre-Dental
    Do any of you know of a Bench Test Prep Course to help us better prepare for the Bench Tests required by most schools. Also, what procedures do they want us to perform? Thanks.

18. IndianGraduate

Dental Student
    bob vallecilla...there is the duggans institute in LA..and also a course given by a ucla professor...not sure what its called..but they both cost around $3000. they teach u everything they as on the bench. hope i helped

19. bob vallecilla

Pre-Dental
    Do any of you know of a Bench Test Prep Course to help us better prepare for the Bench Tests required by most schools. Also, what procedures do they want us to perform? Thanks.

20. bob vallecilla

Pre-Dental
    Thank you for your response....UMDNJ-NJDS may have this unique type of Bench Test Prep Course offered at their school at the end of July, 2008. Would like to hear what all of you think if this course would be worth the time, effort, and $$$. Thanks

21. BlueToothHunter

I actually met a few dental students from the Universad De La Salle, Mexico, when I was in California taking the Law & Ethics Exams. They told me that they were already dentists from Colombia and Guatemala. The program at De La Salle definitely gave them the eligibility to take the clinical exam in California.

The program is taught in English but all of the patient care is in Spanish. So you will have to learn or have a good command of Spanish language.

It sounds like a well-run program... probably better for those Spanish speakers. Just to let you know: California is now saturated with dentists!:sleep:

22. bob vallecilla

Pre-Dental
    There is a Bench Test Prep Course offered by NJDS...Check it out at umdnj.edu

23. kma25

Dentist
    I am a foreign trained Dentist but i am a us citizen and want to apply for prosthodontic program in university of Minessota and to practice in the USA. What i understood from the site of minessota board is that i can apply for the license form Minessota after passing the Boards. Can anyone give me more info about this and if i am right or wrong??

Thank you

24. unare

Dentist
    foreign trained dentist is looking for a english spoken study group in miami to prepare for the NDBHE this year.

25. Sam009

Pre-Dental
    Hi I am a dentist from India I have a low comprehensive GPA below 2 and overall GPA above 3. I am currently doing Masters in Public Health in USA. Also I am currently working in a dental office as office coordinator. I also have CDA certificate. I can also get shadowing letter from my doctor for 150 hours and recommendation letter from him as well. I want to know is there any chances I can get admission to dental school in USA. Also I would like to know can I get letter of recommendation letter from professors of Masters program, will that help. Also what can I do to improve my GPA, and increase my chances to get into dental school.

Please Help

26. Dentstdt

Hi, regarding getting direct Minnesota licensure without U.S.A degree.
    Yes, you can get minnesota board permission to take licensure exam. For that you have to pass nbde part 1 & 2, toefl. Send your proof of practicing to them (they didn't specify how many years of practicing experience they need. )
    Biggest challenge is to meet credentials & transcript education hours. You have to evaluate your education through ICA. Minnesota board website has details about how many credit hours education they need. Roughly 250 credit hours. If you have that , then i think they will call you for personal interview, provided you have fulfilled other requirements in their checklist.

( This is just to give you idea, i have 7 years of academic & private practice experience in my home country, all other necessary requirements were also met, still got rejected due to less credit hour education. You can send your documents to ICA for evaluation) . They will send back detailed 10 page evaluation back to you and board. Just to inform credit hours calculated by ICA & ECE are roughly same for me, if you want to get your credential roughly for sending ICA evaluation request- just to save 400$.