Foreign trained MD in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoocoffee1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This community seems full of adivce, please help me guys.

I am a South Korean attending undergraduate medical college(In South Korea, There are both undergraduate and graduate programs of Medicine), and already have a bachelor's degree of Law.

I really want to become a surgeon, especially plastic surgeon in US, and if possible I want to settle in US as a surgeon and never back to Korea.

I know there are quite many foreigners and even some Koreans who graduated from medical school in foreign countries, got board in US, and settled well in US. However, I know that conversation skill which is capable of speaking even very senstive things(such as touching and convincing a patient or his family) is very imporatnt in practicing medicne and I think that means it's important whether mother tongue of someone who wants to be a surgeon in US is English, not his or her citizenship. The common limit of those who learn English as a second language is that they can just deliver mainly facts and cannot use English in emotional way, So I'm really worried about that.

In addition, I've heard that even those who grew up in South Korea, graduated from medical school there, and got board in US could just be a sort of medical practicer who doesn't handle a patient directly such as a pathologist, an oncologist, or a physician at the most, because of the lack of conversation skill.

However, I want to become a surgeon because of the wage. that's most important reason I don't want to become a lawyer in South Korea, and want to become a surgeon in US. So, if it's not possible for me to earn about 25,000 net dollars(about 400,000 dollars before taxation per year) in US as a doctor per month, there is no reason I would go to US when I compare the situations and many terms in US and South Korea. And I found some information showing the gap between the average wage of a surgeon and a physician is quite much and that meant if I couldn't get a board of a surgeon, the wage I want is not possible.

So, I want to know that someone who graduated from medical school in a foreign culture(which means he or she is able to communicate most sentences but not sensitive things), can get a board of a surgeon and have a market value as a genuine surgeon.

If not possible, I am willing to work even in Korean town in US, I just care the wage that I would earn, I don't care whom I would handle.

ps.Even here, we learn almost all medical terms in both Korean and English, so don't worry about that.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hmmm...there seem to be a few issues you need to address here. First, is there a chance you could come to a US medical school? This would help you to eventually practice here immensely, though you could also pursue residency here, or even try to get board certified after completing your training elsewhere. I do not know the details of how this would work, but if your main goal is to practice here I believe it would be possible.

Now, I feel you maybe approaching this with the wrong goals. Namely "just the wage." This is not a good idea because if you really hate surgery the money will not be worth it. I would first find a field that you like to practice, then focus on wages and how to work in the US.

Also, as you mention, then language barrier may cause difficulty as it will be imperative to communicate in a compassionate and clear manner, my suggestion would be to keep working on your English, perhaps by chatting online with English speakers, and reading novels in English. Good luck,

Short answer: Yes, you can make your 400K as a surgeon.
I will give you a quick basic overview.
1. Finish medical school there.
2. Take Step 1 /Step 2 CS&CK
3. Several months (if not a year) of clinical observerships to improve / prove English competency/proficiency.
4. optional research year in US to improve residency application.
5. Apply for General surgery residency (5years) in US. Integrated plastic surgery residency is very difficult for a FMG to get in.
6. Match! (General surgery residency is somewhat competitive.)
7. Apply for plastic surgery fellowship, and match.
8. You will get your 400K a year. After finishing your residency in US, your background as a FMG will become irrelevant.

I am a South Korean attending undergraduate medical college(In South Korea, There are both undergraduate and graduate programs of Medicine), and already have a bachelor's degree of Law.

I really want to become a surgeon, especially plastic surgeon in US, and if possible I want to settle in US as a surgeon and never back to Korea.

I know there are quite many foreigners and even some Koreans who graduated from medical school in foreign countries, got board in US, and settled well in US. However, I know that conversation skill which is capable of speaking even very senstive things(such as touching and convincing a patient or his family) is very imporatnt in practicing medicne and I think that means it's important whether mother tongue of someone who wants to be a surgeon in US is English, not his or her citizenship. The common limit of those who learn English as a second language is that they can just deliver mainly facts and cannot use English in emotional way, So I'm really worried about that.

In addition, I've heard that even those who grew up in South Korea, graduated from medical school there, and got board in US could just be a sort of medical practicer who doesn't handle a patient directly such as a pathologist, an oncologist, or a physician at the most, because of the lack of conversation skill.

However, I want to become a surgeon because of the wage. that's most important reason I don't want to become a lawyer in South Korea, and want to become a surgeon in US. So, if it's not possible for me to earn about 25,000 net dollars(about 400,000 dollars before taxation per year) in US as a doctor per month, there is no reason I would go to US when I compare the situations and many terms in US and South Korea. And I found some information showing the gap between the average wage of a surgeon and a physician is quite much and that meant if I couldn't get a board of a surgeon, the wage I want is not possible.

So, I want to know that someone who graduated from medical school in a foreign culture(which means he or she is able to communicate most sentences but not sensitive things), can get a board of a surgeon and have a market value as a genuine surgeon.

If not possible, I am willing to work even in Korean town in US, I just care the wage that I would earn, I don't care whom I would handle.

ps.Even here, we learn almost all medical terms in both Korean and English, so don't worry about that.
Any reason you don't want to stay in Korea as a surgeon since you will take care of your own people ? Do you hate your own country since you said you don;t want to be back to Korea? If you go after making tons of money, would advice you go to business profession.
It's a tough road for anyone to go thru in medicine in US especially foreign grads.

Plastics is far too competitive. I would give your chance of matching into plastics almost 0%. Stay in Korea.

Now if you want to do something less competitive, perhaps you'd have a shot but to have a good shot you'd have to do med school in the US

If your from north Korea then I say you should leave.

As far as I know, it's more difficult for a foreign citizenship to get in medical school in US than to get matched as a resident after graduating from a foreign country. Even though it's possible, the complex of learning English and medical knowledge would keep me from getting good grades in medical school, so, many Korean predecessor practicing in USs advised me to graduate frome Korea.

Hmmm...there seem to be a few issues you need to address here. First, is there a chance you could come to a US medical school? This would help you to eventually practice here immensely, though you could also pursue residency here, or even try to get board certified after completing your training elsewhere. I do not know the details of how this would work, but if your main goal is to practice here I believe it would be possible.

Now, I feel you maybe approaching this with the wrong goals. Namely "just the wage." This is not a good idea because if you really hate surgery the money will not be worth it. I would first find a field that you like to practice, then focus on wages and how to work in the US.

Also, as you mention, then language barrier may cause difficulty as it will be imperative to communicate in a compassionate and clear manner, my suggestion would be to keep working on your English, perhaps by chatting online with English speakers, and reading novels in English. Good luck,

As far as I know, it's more difficult for a foreign citizenship to get in medical school in US than to get matched as a resident after graduating from a foreign country. Even though it's possible, the complex of learning English and medical knowledge would keep me from getting good grades in medical school, so, many Korean predecessor practicing in USs advised me to graduate frome Korea.

And, I aprreciate your concern on my perspective of my life, but I think how to live is not your business here. I just want a technical way I can get board in.

Short answer: Yes, you can make your 400K as a surgeon.
I will give you a quick basic overview.
1. Finish medical school there.
2. Take Step 1 /Step 2 CS&CK
3. Several months (if not a year) of clinical observerships to improve / prove English competency/proficiency.
4. optional research year in US to improve residency application.
5. Apply for General surgery residency (5years) in US. Integrated plastic surgery residency is very difficult for a FMG to get in.
6. Match! (General surgery residency is somewhat competitive.)
7. Apply for plastic surgery fellowship, and match.
8. You will get your 400K a year. After finishing your residency in US, your background as a FMG will become irrelevant.

I have further questions.

3,4 mean there are somewhat observerships or programs which accept newly graduated medical students, am I right?
And you mean it's quite difficult for me to get matched in US right after I graduated from medical school South Korea, so I apply for those kinds of programs and improve my English and acclimate to US medical situations, and then, apply for residency, right?

7, I am not sure that is it possible for someone getting board as a general surgeon to match plastic surgery fellowship? I thought fellowship course is somewhat advanced course, so is it only possible for someone getting board as a plastic surgeon to match the plastic fellowship?

Any reason you don't want to stay in Korea as a surgeon since you will take care of your own people ? Do you hate your own country since you said you don;t want to be back to Korea? If you go after making tons of money, would advice you go to business profession.
It's a tough road for anyone to go thru in medicine in US especially foreign grads.

No, like I said, I really care about "the wage", but, the situations in South Korea are getting difficult for so called professionals like a lawyer, a MD. Maybe, you would be shocked if you look into the medical insurance fee in South Korea.

example)
1.coronary angiography : 100 US dollars
2. appendectomy : 250 US dollars
3. total joint replacement : 400 US dollars
4. colonoscopy : 40 US dollars

WTF... that's what the hospital earn from the National Insurance which is forced to join to every people in Korea.

you know, recently economy is getting worse worldwide, and economic polarization is especially getting worse in South Korea. So, if MD file a complaint on this situation to government, almost all people here blame the MDs on their selfishness regardless of how tough MDs get their job. Koreans don't admire others' effort easily, so they somehow don't accept others getting ahead, they just don't want MDs to earn much money!

Last edited:
no chance in hell. plastics???? no way. stay in korea.

Plastics is far too competitive. I would give your chance of matching into plastics almost 0%. Stay in Korea.

Why? Do they deliberately exclude foreigners? or they really care about the conversation skill?

I want to know the prime reason that the possiblity is nearly zero.

Why? Do they deliberately exclude foreigners? or they really care about the conversation skill?

It's because you're not graduating from a US Medical school. It has nothing to do with conversation skill. Because you are not from the country and learning medicine from a foreign medical school, US programs won't even look at your application.

Plastic surgery is one of the MOST competitive specialties we have in the United States. People who apply for plastic surgery are top of the top in a US medical school, which you are not.

Problem solved.

The surgery program I worked in did not frequently select foreign medical graduates for the following reasons:

1. Differences in medical training... Particularly the clinical years of medical school were very different. This made the attendings uncomfortable
2. VISA issues
3. USLME scores

Now with that said... There were 3 foreign residents in the program while I was there. They also interviewed a few people from other countries to match into their program, but the people they interviewed had STELLAR applications. 260+ on their USLME Step I and a well rounded application. That included research and strong letters of recommendations as well.

Note: I am not a physician. I just worked as an education intern in the dept.

Last edited:
Oh yeah! There may have been a couple foreign medical graduates that managed to get a preliminary surgery spot as well. You can try to get one of those and then apply to match into a general surgery program the following year. Of course you would have to apply for a plastics fellowship.

It's possible. Just not going to be easy at allllll. You have to get excellent Step 1 scores.

yes, many plastic surgery programs deliberately screen out FMGs, osteopathic docs, low board scores (USMLE), low GPA, lack of letters of recs from someone who is well
connected in the plastics world, lacks research, lack of honors/awards in surgery.

Having a foreign medical grad in the roster does not look good. most programs want people from well regarded US med schools

No, like I said, I really care about "the wage", but, the situations in South Korea are getting difficult for so called professionals like a lawyer, a MD. Maybe, you would be shocked if you look into the medical insurance fee in South Korea.

example)
1.coronary angiography : 100 US dollars
2. appendectomy : 250 US dollars
3. total joint replacement : 400 US dollars
4. colonoscopy : 40 US dollars

WTF... that's what the hospital earn from the National Insurance which is forced to join to every people in Korea.

you know, recently economy is getting worse worldwide, and economic polarization is especially getting worse in South Korea. So, if MD file a complaint on this situation to government, almost all people here blame the MDs on their selfishness regardless of how tough MDs get their job. Koreans don't admire others' effort easily, so they somehow don't accept others getting ahead, they just don't want MDs to earn much money!
Well, if the national insurance pays only peanuts, then how those hospitals sustain themselves? are they being subsized by government? if not, are they in danger of closing? I would also consider the living standard in SK, is it getting difficult for professionals to make a living wage ? If it is, then why people still going into professions with the knowledge of starving to death, how do they pay tuition or is it free? I am not familiar wtih SK situation. But in general, when someone move to another country for whatever reason, that means they may need to uproot everything without any certainty of sucess in future. I would think twice or even three times before making this decision.

40 dollars for a colonoscopy? That's absurdly low. That doesn't even sound like enough to reimburse the facilities for the cost of prepping everything, let alone the medical staff salary.

Well, if the national insurance pays only peanuts, then how those hospitals sustain themselves? are they being subsized by government? if not, are they in danger of closing? I would also consider the living standard in SK, is it getting difficult for professionals to make a living wage ? If it is, then why people still going into professions with the knowledge of starving to death, how do they pay tuition or is it free? I am not familiar wtih SK situation. But in general, when someone move to another country for whatever reason, that means they may need to uproot everything without any certainty of sucess in future. I would think twice or even three times before making this decision.

What would you do in that kind of situation?

All SK MDs treat a patient in 5minutes :( like a medical plant!!!! and they make patients come again for a little symptom or just a little anxiety so that they can earn about 10000bucks per month. In spite of this, it's getting worse. In the recent 15 years, there is less rise of the insurance fee(0.XXX%) because of the forces from other nationals.

except for the lethal illness(such as cancer or symptoms which need a surgery), almost all MDs do that kind of ridiculous things.

And economic situations in SK are worse to none-professionals. So, smart ones reluctantly get the professional which means there will be more people like me in the future.

Last edited:
What would you do in that kind of situation?

All SK MDs treat a patient in 5minutes :( like a medical plant!!!! and they make patients come again for a little symptom or just a little anxiety so that they can earn about 10000bucks per month. In spite of this, it's getting worse. In the recent 15 years, there is less rise of the insurance fee(0.XXX%) because of the forces from other nationals.

except for the lethal illness(such as cancer or symptoms which need a surgery), almost all MDs do that kind of ridiculous things.

And economic situations in SK are worse to none-professionals. So, smart ones reluctantly get the professional which means there will be more people like me in the future.

I don't know what I would do . However, as you mentioned, there is polarization ( income) in SK, so where does money go?sombody must be keeping the money. If those staying in profession are starving, sooner or later , there will be none or maybe only a few left in the profession , hospitals shut down due to financial crisis and where would sick people go to?

The most competitive fields take the top grads of the top programs, and programs they are most familiar with. The typical residency or fellowship director won't know much about medical education in Korea, and with thousands of top grads from places he is very familiar with applying for spots won't bother to inquire further. Additionally, yes, language skills are huge. Medicine in the US is a service industry. You will not be a technician who only deals with unconscious patients. Being able to converse with patients and colleagues, being able to give talks at grand rounds and various conferences, being able to consult with patients in clinic matters a lot. Being solid at two or more languages is fantastic, but you need to first be solid at English as a minimum to do residency here.

And yes, being focused on wage will keep you out of residency. Nobody wants someone who states he wants to be a plastic surgeon because they make a lot of money. That might be a happy byproduct but in the US that's not allowed to be your primary goal or you won't get the job. They'd rather have the guy who always wanted to be a plastic surgeon because he loves the art, or wants to be a plastic surgeon who wants to spend his time fixing cleft lips of impoverished children for peanuts because that is his calling.

At any rate, most of the foreign grads who want to come to the US have to focus on relatively noncompetitive specialties at less desirable hospitals to get residencies, and need good communication skills to boot. Which is why if you said you wanted to do family medicine and work in underserved korean-american communities, you might have been quoted better odds than something highly competitive.

I have further questions.

3,4 mean there are somewhat observerships or programs which accept newly graduated medical students, am I right?
And you mean it's quite difficult for me to get matched in US right after I graduated from medical school South Korea, so I apply for those kinds of programs and improve my English and acclimate to US medical situations, and then, apply for residency, right?

7, I am not sure that is it possible for someone getting board as a general surgeon to match plastic surgery fellowship? I thought fellowship course is somewhat advanced course, so is it only possible for someone getting board as a plastic surgeon to match the plastic fellowship?

To get a residency in the US, you basically have to do "rotations" in the US. These are called observerships because basically you are not allowed to touch/care for the patients. It is a stupid way to prove you know your medicine by not allowing you to care for a patient. I have never understood it. It is one of the hoops you have to go through.

General surgery is pretty competitive for an FMG. Plastics is nearly impossible (by nearly I really mean impossible). Now you can do a general surgery residency and then a plastic surgery fellowship afterwards.

There are 2 routes to plastics in the US. 1) General surgery --> plastics or 2) Integrated plastics residency alone. The latter is much more competitive.

The most competitive fields take the top grads of the top programs, and programs they are most familiar with. The typical residency or fellowship director won't know much about medical education in Korea, and with thousands of top grads from places he is very familiar with applying for spots won't bother to inquire further. Additionally, yes, language skills are huge. Medicine in the US is a service industry. You will not be a technician who only deals with unconscious patients. Being able to converse with patients and colleagues, being able to give talks at grand rounds and various conferences, being able to consult with patients in clinic matters a lot. Being solid at two or more languages is fantastic, but you need to first be solid at English as a minimum to do residency here.

And yes, being focused on wage will keep you out of residency. Nobody wants someone who states he wants to be a plastic surgeon because they make a lot of money. That might be a happy byproduct but in the US that's not allowed to be your primary goal or you won't get the job. They'd rather have the guy who always wanted to be a plastic surgeon because he loves the art, or wants to be a plastic surgeon who wants to spend his time fixing cleft lips of impoverished children for peanuts because that is his calling.

At any rate, most of the foreign grads who want to come to the US have to focus on relatively noncompetitive specialties at less desirable hospitals to get residencies, and need good communication skills to boot. Which is why if you said you wanted to do family medicine and work in underserved korean-american communities, you might have been quoted better odds than something highly competitive.

agree

To get a residency in the US, you basically have to do "rotations" in the US. These are called observerships because basically you are not allowed to touch/care for the patients. It is a stupid way to prove you know your medicine by not allowing you to care for a patient. I have never understood it. It is one of the hoops you have to go through. .

Actually, my train of thought is one of the biggest mistakes us FMGs make is postponing any US clinical experience until after graduation when only observerships are avaialbe. Clerkships and sub-i's are available for FMStudents as well and to my knowledge are valued exponentially higher when applying- and will most certainly lead you to far better LoRs. There's also a zillion more options available.

So, to add to the OP's obstacles, if he's graduated he'll likely have a harder time getting any experience.

Now, OP, do look into UW's 8 week surgery sub i program for FMGs, that may be your best bet.

Last edited:
Also, whatever you do don't mention you are out for "just the wage." You will look naive and come across as going into the profession for all the wrong reasons, not to mention lose any chance you may have of acceptance.

Hi,, everybody seems very helpful, so here is my situation, I am an ENT (otorhinolaryngologist) trained in Mexico, I am an US citizen living in Texas, I want to be able to practice here, what are my options and their steps, I am considering if not ENT I would like to be a Family Physician. Thanks, have a great weekend!

Hi,, everybody seems very helpful, so here is my situation, I am an ENT (otorhinolaryngologist) trained in Mexico, I am an US citizen living in Texas, I want to be able to practice here, what are my options and their steps, I am considering if not ENT I would like to be a Family Physician. Thanks, have a great weekend!
Unfortunately, your training in Mexico is not acceptable to practice here in the United States. The only foreign training acceptable to the American Board of Otolaryngology is that which is obtained in the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Candidates from those countries may be eligible to sit the board exams.

Therefore if you wish to pursue any specialty in the US and trained outside of this country, you must obtain an ECFMG certificate which renders you eligible to enter residency training here. See www.ecfmg.org

Reactions: 1 user

And, I aprreciate your concern on my perspective of my life, but I think how to live is not your business here. I just want a technical way I can get board in.

There is no way in hell I want you to be my physician ever, or to be a physician to anyone I know or care about. You sound like an immature, greedy person. Not only would you not be satisfied with the average American income of $50,000/year, not only would you be unhappy with the average physician salary of 200-250K, you only want the 400k job , and as you said numerous times, because of the wage.
Further, you are closed minded to anyone who detracts from your immature, greedy goal of making 400k/year as a plastic surgeon because "it's not their business."

Your attitude and demeanor indicates to me that you would also be a sub-standard student. Your obsession with yourself and making money indicates that you will absolutely be a poor clinician.

I hope you never become a physician in this country, or any country. Fortunately, given your attitude, it looks like you never will. You should find a way to make money some other way. You should also find a way to not care so much about money. With your current attitude and life view, I can safely say you will never become a US plastic surgeon making 400k per year.

Reactions: 1 users
There is no way in hell I want you to be my physician ever, or to be a physician to anyone I know or care about. You sound like an immature, greedy person. Not only would you not be satisfied with the average American income of $50,000/year, not only would you be unhappy with the average physician salary of 200-250K, you only want the 400k job , and as you said numerous times, because of the wage.
Further, you are closed minded to anyone who detracts from your immature, greedy goal of making 400k/year as a plastic surgeon because "it's not their business."

Your attitude and demeanor indicates to me that you would also be a sub-standard student. Your obsession with yourself and making money indicates that you will absolutely be a poor clinician.

I hope you never become a physician in this country, or any country. Fortunately, given your attitude, it looks like you never will. You should find a way to make money some other way. You should also find a way to not care so much about money. With your current attitude and life view, I can safely say you will never become a US plastic surgeon making 400k per year.
When you come to the big kids sandbox you have to learn to play by our rules:

1) keep it professional and on-topic
2) no insulting other members
3) no invoking Burnetts law

Reactions: 1 users
When you come to the big kids sandbox you have to learn to play by our rules:

1) keep it professional and on-topic
2) no insulting other members
3) no invoking Burnetts law

Been a while since I've seen Burnett's law. Glad to see pre-meds still throwing it out there.

Reactions: 1 user

1. yes, if you are a foreign national requiring a visa it will be very very difficult to get ANY residency….and if you are an I/FMG, it is very difficult to get a residency spot…put the 2 together an you are not very competitive AT all..
2. conversational skills are paramount for medicine….ANY aspect of medicine….even those that have little to no patient contact…because you STIll have to communicate with people…colleague, ancillary staff, clerical staff etc…if you cannot hold a conversation in English you will not be competitive for a spot…it is the reason that you have to do an interview to get a residency spot.

and this is for the least competitive specialties….plastics? plastics is considered a competitive specialty…even amongst US MD students…if you think you will get a plastics spot you will be seriously disappointed.

the prime reason(s)….you are a foreigner and your English is not up to snuff, and its a very competitive specialty….you chance may not be 0%, but its close enough.