Forensic Paths: Psychology/Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smsc2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm not really interested in either field but I just wanted to know the differences in career outlook between forensic psychologists and forensic psychiatrists. I thought this would be a good place to ask.

In high school, I took psychology and my teacher was very insistent that the only difference between an MD/DO psychiatrist and a PhD/PsyD psychologist is that a psychiatrist can prescribe medication. I know it's more than that because psychiatrists have a medical degree and psychologists have a PhD/PsyD.

Anyway, I am just curious since forensics has to deal mostly with legal cases, what are the differences? Do they do the same kinds of cases? Do they make similar salaries? Anything you can tell me about the differences and similarities is what I'm interested in reading about.

Also, can psychologists get hospital rights? Are they allowed to admit somebody who is mentally ill into a hospital or must they be under the supervision of a psychiatrist?

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm not really interested in either field but I just wanted to know the differences in career outlook between forensic psychologists and forensic psychiatrists. I thought this would be a good place to ask.

In high school, I took psychology and my teacher was very insistent that the only difference between an MD/DO psychiatrist and a PhD/PsyD psychologist is that a psychiatrist can prescribe medication. I know it's more than that because psychiatrists have a medical degree and psychologists have a PhD/PsyD.

Anyway, I am just curious since forensics has to deal mostly with legal cases, what are the differences? Do they do the same kinds of cases? Do they make similar salaries? Anything you can tell me about the differences and similarities is what I'm interested in reading about.

A lot of forensic work consists of administering psychological tests. This is done primarily by psychologists because they are trained in test administration and interpretation and psychiatrists are not. Both professions may see and treat forensic patients or conduct research on this population. Both professions may appear as expert witnesses at trials. As for advising jury selection, I believe that is the domain of psychologists only.

Also, can psychologists get hospital rights? Are they allowed to admit somebody who is mentally ill into a hospital or must they be under the supervision of a psychiatrist?

Thanks again

I believe this varies by state. At the place I did my practicum last year, a psychiatrist had to sign off on the "pink slips" that indicated involuntary hospitalization. However, the clinic simply kept a stock of pre-signed pink slips and the psychologists could use them at their discretion.