Forensic Psychiatric Evaluation of Physicians

Started by IonClaws
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IonClaws

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello -

I have heard there are some very active forensic psychiatrists on this forum, so I wanted to ask what exactly is entailed in the forensic psychiatric examination of a physician, particularly if it is ordered by a medical board?

What sort of questions may one expect during the eval? Does it tend to be standard or does it vary based on the particular physician?

Thanks.
 
It varies somewhat based on the examiner but it is a full psychiatric diagnostic evaluation and fitness for duty evaluation. They will be asking questions to determine what diagnoses, if any, the physician has and whether and in what way those diagnoses would impact your ability to practice medicine safely. They will review all relevant records and the circumstances that led to the board evaluation in the first place. Because of the public safety component the recommendations for treatment and monitoring will usually be more intense that would be required for a non physician
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I was the examiner, there is a chance I may request that a forensic psychologist or a forensic neuropsychologist do psychological testing. Also, I would likely conduct a collateral interview of colleagues and family.