You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Forensic Psychiatry 2026-2027 Application Cycle
Started by trixter888
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Thanks for starting a thread! I've received only two so far, but I did not apply to many programs. Seems like the wrong decision in retrospect.
I think you’ll be fine! Some programs are taking a little bit longer from what I’ve heard. I just received another one yesterday, in total three. A couple programs let me know, however that they’re still reviewing applications.Thanks for starting a thread! I've received only two so far, but I did not apply to many programs. Seems like the wrong decision in retrospect.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has forensic psych really gotten so competitive that programs are now flooded with enough applications to actually need time to sort through them?Hey everyone! I was wondering when this thread would get started. I’ve received 4 interviews so far, but several programs have reached out to say they’re still in the process of reviewing applications—so I think things are still moving along slowly.
The timing of the application lines up with onboarding new residents. I imagine this is why this is happening.
Has anyone heard back from Brown yet?
No.Has anyone heard back from Brown yet?
Has anybody heard from UPenn yet?
I heard back from them this week. It seems like they’ve just started sending out their first wave of interview offers.Has anyone heard back from Brown yet?
Just heard back as well. Not sure if other programs have completed interview invitations.I heard back from them this week. It seems like they’ve just started sending out their first wave of interview offers.
I have received 3 thus far.
Programs I’ve heard have sent invites so far:
UC Davis
Case Western
Yale
MGH/BWH/Harvard
Brown
Emory
Northwestern
UCSF
Feel free to copy forward and add programs if you’d like to make a running list.
UC Davis
Case Western
Yale
MGH/BWH/Harvard
Brown
Emory
Northwestern
UCSF
Feel free to copy forward and add programs if you’d like to make a running list.
UC DavisPrograms I’ve heard have sent invites so far:
UC Davis
Case Western
Yale
MGH/BWH/Harvard
Brown
Emory
Northwestern
UCSF
Feel free to copy forward and add programs if you’d like to make a running list.
Case Western
Yale
MGH/BWH/Harvard
Brown
Emory
Northwestern
UCSF
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Michigan
Oregon Health & Science Univ
KraepelinItReal
New Member
UC Davis
Case Western
Yale
MGH/BWH/Harvard
Brown
Emory
Northwestern
UCSF
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Michigan
Oregon Health & Science Univ
Baylor
Univ. of Miami / Jackson
NYU Grossman
Stanford
Riverside Univ. Health System
UT Austin
NGL seeing that some of the California programs have probably filled out their interview slots bummed me out, but grateful to have what I do so far. Should be an interesting first season of the Match for everyone!
Case Western
Yale
MGH/BWH/Harvard
Brown
Emory
Northwestern
UCSF
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Michigan
Oregon Health & Science Univ
Baylor
Univ. of Miami / Jackson
NYU Grossman
Stanford
Riverside Univ. Health System
UT Austin
NGL seeing that some of the California programs have probably filled out their interview slots bummed me out, but grateful to have what I do so far. Should be an interesting first season of the Match for everyone!
Hi everyone, I’m curious, what’s your reason for applying to programs all over the country?
From what I understand, many people pursue forensic fellowships in regions where they plan to practice afterward. No family/spouse/children/ties to any specific regions?
From what I understand, many people pursue forensic fellowships in regions where they plan to practice afterward. No family/spouse/children/ties to any specific regions?
Very few areas have good forensic programs so you have to move around to get what you need. Additionally, many of the better programs are in areas that people might not want to practice. With the match this year, this is a bit more uncertainty and things are more uniform than they used to be so I imagine people are applying to more programs than they used to.Hi everyone, I’m curious, what’s your reason for applying to programs all over the country?
From what I understand, many people pursue forensic fellowships in regions where they plan to practice afterward. No family/spouse/children/ties to any specific regions?
I would certainly recommend applicants consider all programs that they might be interested in even if they feel they want to stay where they are. You might be surprised. Also, for forensics the training does matter more than for some other fellowships. I would argue there is little point in doing any fellowship if it's not a high quality one, but that is especially true for forensics. For many people that will mean having to move and potentially consider geographically diverse areas.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone heard back from Columbia?
NopeHas anyone heard back from Columbia?
Anybody heard from Penn?
Didn’t apply there so not sure.Nope
Anybody heard from Penn?
UC Davis
Case Western
Yale
MGH/BWH/Harvard
Brown
Emory
Northwestern
UCSF
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Michigan
Oregon Health & Science Univ
Baylor
Univ. of Miami / Jackson
NYU Grossman
Stanford
Riverside Univ. Health System
UT Austin
SUNY Upstate
Case Western
Yale
MGH/BWH/Harvard
Brown
Emory
Northwestern
UCSF
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Michigan
Oregon Health & Science Univ
Baylor
Univ. of Miami / Jackson
NYU Grossman
Stanford
Riverside Univ. Health System
UT Austin
SUNY Upstate
UC Davis
Case Western
Yale
MGH/BWH/Harvard
Brown
Emory
Northwestern
UCSF
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Michigan
Oregon Health & Science Univ
Baylor
Univ. of Miami / Jackson
NYU Grossman
Stanford
Riverside Univ. Health System
UT Austin
SUNY Upstate
Univ of Rochester
Case Western
Yale
MGH/BWH/Harvard
Brown
Emory
Northwestern
UCSF
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Michigan
Oregon Health & Science Univ
Baylor
Univ. of Miami / Jackson
NYU Grossman
Stanford
Riverside Univ. Health System
UT Austin
SUNY Upstate
Univ of Rochester
UC Davis
Case Western
Columbia
Yale
MGH/BWH/Harvard
Brown
Emory
Northwestern
UCSF
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Michigan
Oregon Health & Science Univ
Baylor
Univ. of Miami / Jackson
NYU Grossman
Stanford
Riverside Univ. Health System
UT Austin
SUNY Upstate
Univ of Rochester
Case Western
Columbia
Yale
MGH/BWH/Harvard
Brown
Emory
Northwestern
UCSF
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Michigan
Oregon Health & Science Univ
Baylor
Univ. of Miami / Jackson
NYU Grossman
Stanford
Riverside Univ. Health System
UT Austin
SUNY Upstate
Univ of Rochester
UC Davis
Case Western
Columbia
Yale
MGH/BWH/Harvard
Brown
Emory
Northwestern
UCSF
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Michigan
Oregon Health & Science Univ
Baylor
Univ. of Miami / Jackson
NYU Grossman
Stanford
Riverside Univ. Health System
UT Austin
SUNY Upstate
Univ of Rochester
UCLA
Case Western
Columbia
Yale
MGH/BWH/Harvard
Brown
Emory
Northwestern
UCSF
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Michigan
Oregon Health & Science Univ
Baylor
Univ. of Miami / Jackson
NYU Grossman
Stanford
Riverside Univ. Health System
UT Austin
SUNY Upstate
Univ of Rochester
UCLA
UC Davis
Case Western
Columbia
Yale
MGH/BWH/Harvard
Brown
Emory
Northwestern
UCSF
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Michigan
Oregon Health & Science Univ
Baylor
Univ. of Miami / Jackson
NYU Grossman
Stanford
Riverside Univ. Health System
UT Austin
SUNY Upstate
Univ of Rochester
UCLA
UTSW
Montefiore Med Ctr
Case Western
Columbia
Yale
MGH/BWH/Harvard
Brown
Emory
Northwestern
UCSF
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Michigan
Oregon Health & Science Univ
Baylor
Univ. of Miami / Jackson
NYU Grossman
Stanford
Riverside Univ. Health System
UT Austin
SUNY Upstate
Univ of Rochester
UCLA
UTSW
Montefiore Med Ctr
Hi all, it's rank list certification week! I’m trying to finalize my rank list and would appreciate any insight on the following programs:
Thanks in advance!
- SUNY Upstate
- Yale
- University of Michigan
- University of Maryland
- Brown
- Montefiore
- University of Colorado
- Emory
Thanks in advance!
If you can, talk to recent graduates of the programs, preferably ones who aren’t still there or heavily involved in the programs. Imo it’s the best way to get an honest assessment of what you’re looking for.Hi all, it's rank list certification week! I’m trying to finalize my rank list and would appreciate any insight on the following programs:
I'm especially torn between SUNY Upstate and Yale as my top two—any thoughts on how to meaningfully distinguish between them in terms of diversity of cases, clinical vs. writing-focused, mentorship, reputation, career outcomes, civil vs. crim exposure, testimony preparation, etc.?
- SUNY Upstate
- Yale
- University of Michigan
- University of Maryland
- Brown
- Montefiore
- University of Colorado
- Emory
Thanks in advance!
this. how is attending life? Also, how are things 5, 10, 15 years out?If you can, talk to recent graduates of the programs, preferably ones who aren’t still there or heavily involved in the programs. Imo it’s the best way to get an honest assessment of what you’re looking for.
bellowingraven
New Member
Might consider posting on reddit, more eyes thereHi all, it's rank list certification week! I’m trying to finalize my rank list and would appreciate any insight on the following programs:
I'm especially torn between SUNY Upstate and Yale as my top two—any thoughts on how to meaningfully distinguish between them in terms of diversity of cases, clinical vs. writing-focused, mentorship, reputation, career outcomes, civil vs. crim exposure, testimony preparation, etc.?
- SUNY Upstate
- Yale
- University of Michigan
- University of Maryland
- Brown
- Montefiore
- University of Colorado
- Emory
Thanks in advance!
randomforensic
Full Member
I think there's always a lack of replies when people ask to compare various programs because people only really know where they trained. Otherwise, they have no more data than whoever is asking, limited to whatever is posted on the program's website. Exceptions might include programs that interact with each other (NY programs, OH programs).
…Anyway… good luck in the inaugural match tomorrow, everyone!Very high risk of poor ROI with forensics…FWIW
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You'll see……Anyway… good luck in the inaugural match tomorrow, everyone!
Thanks for the warning. Nonetheless, I’m looking forward to fellowship next year and practice afterwards!You'll see…
Similar threads
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 337
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 801