Forensic Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zaybay

Psychology Undergrad
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am actually a graduating senior in Forensic Psychology at John Jay College of Criminal Justice (CUNY). I was wondering what the best schools/programs would be for forensic psychology and what kind of courses/ training you would recieve in an MA program. I would also appreciate any information on the various job opportunities that a Forensic psychologist has besides in the courtroom. Is it better to work in the court or prison system? Can I use a degree in Forensic Psych in any other field of psychology (clinical, neuro, etc.)?

Members don't see this ad.

It is important to note that Forensic Psychology, Neuropsychology, Health psychology (and others) are all sub-specialities of Clinical Psychology*, a doctoral-level degree. You are first a clinical psychologist, and then you can specialize in one of the above areas.

An MA in forensic psychology can be a stepping stone to a doctoral program, though it will not make you a forensic psychologist. From my understanding, it is not a licensable degree, so it is used primarily for knowledge. You should ask people at John Jay (grad programs) about where their graduates go, since there can be quite a bit of geographic variance.

*You can also be trained through a counseling psychology program, though that is far less common for someone who works in forensics.