Forensic science major considering pharmacy school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_pharmgal1220

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello people :)

Im a junior in college who just switched to forensic science with a emphasis in biology. In this field, im not sure if i want to work in the lab because i actually want to be involved in the cases; working in the lab, you only know so little about a case. Lately ive been thinking if the forensic field will have enough jobs down the road, so i thought about pharmacy school as a backup plan; being an expert on drugs and the effects it causes inside our bodies always intrigued me.

I will keep my forensic science major and fall back on it if i dont get into pharm school.

Should i just forget pharm school or is my plan worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Im a junior in college who just switched to forensic science with a emphasis in biology. In this field, im not sure if i want to work in the lab because i actually want to be involved in the cases; working in the lab, you only know so little about a case. Lately ive been thinking if the forensic field will have enough jobs down the road, so i thought about pharmacy school as a backup plan; being an expert on drugs and the effects it causes inside our bodies always intrigued me.

I will keep my forensic science major and fall back on it if i dont get into pharm school.

Im not familiar with the forensic field but you hint that it might be saturated down the road? Pharmacy will likely be the same way. However if youre a good student, saturation in any job field shouldnt be a problem for you. You know your situation the best.

I would recommend a career in medicine if your GPA is 3.5+. If your GPA is between 3.0 and 3.5, you still have a shot for entrance, which just needs to be compensated by other areas in your application. Your major is an interesting one and can actually be tie into a career in medicine via medical school and a residency/fellowship combo in forensic pathology. A good performance on the MCAT, as I'm sure you're well aware, is required for entrance into medical school.

If your GPA < 3.0, then pharmacy school is a liable option. Beware that retail pharmacy is most likely unsustainable long-term; this area of pharmacy employs a good 60%+ of the field which makes the employment situation very tricky to navigate. Clinical pharmacy MIGHT be growing (even this is debatable), but spots are very few compared to the number of graduates and requires at least 2 years of residency (on top of the 4 years of pharmacy school). Some "growing" fields in pharmacy include ambulatory care, HIV and informatics. Hope this helps.