Forensics for dummies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who sees the blatant WHOOPS in the following article?

Particularly idiotic statements boldfaced.

No Charges in Billy the Kid Exhumation

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: October 23, 2006

PRESCOTT, Ariz. (AP) -- Prosecutors won't seek charges against two men who exhumed the remains of a man who claimed to be the outlaw Billy the Kid.

Tom Sullivan, former sheriff of Lincoln County, N.M., and Steve Sederwall, former mayor of Capitan, N.M., dug up the bones of John Miller in May 2005. Miller was buried at the state-owned Pioneers' Home Cemetery in Prescott nearly 70 years ago.

''It appears officials in charge of the facility gave permission and the people who were attempting to recover samples of the remains believed they had permission to do so,'' said Bill FitzGerald, a spokesman for the Maricopa County Attorney's Office, which made the decision not to seek charges.

Sullivan and Sederwall obtained DNA from Miller's remains. The samples were sent to a Dallas lab to compare Miller's DNA to blood traces taken from a bench that is believed to be the one Kid's body was placed on after he was shot to death in 1881.

Sullivan and Sederwall have been hunting for the Kid's bones since 2003.

They began their quest in Fort Sumner, N.M., where history says the Kid was buried after then-Lincoln County Sheriff Pat Garrett gunned him down in 1881.

But at least two men -- Miller and Ollie ''Brushy Bill'' Roberts of Texas -- claimed prior to their deaths that they were Billy the Kid. Their stories presuppose that Garrett killed the wrong man and lied about it.

After more than a year of fighting to get permission to unearth the Fort Sumner grave, Sullivan and Sederwall dropped their request and decided to begin the process of elimination in Arizona.

They later returned the bones, and Pioneers' Home officials reinterred them in August.

-----------------------------------------------

So let me get this straight - in order to try to prove that a certain person is or is not Billy the Kid, they are comparing his DNA (a man who died 50 years after Billy The Kid was supposedly killed) to that of the dead body stretched out on a bench after the shooting in 1881? Huh? The only conclusion I can draw is that these men think that Billy The Kid is capable of something only Lazarus and Jesus have been capable of, that is rising from the dead.

If Billy the Kid was in fact shot and killed, then their DNA would not match. If this man they dug up was in fact Billy the Kid, then the man who was shot and killed was not Billy the Kid, in which case their DNA would not match either.

What am I missing? The guy was dead. They dug up someone who did not die (or presumably get laid out on a bench after being shot in 1881). What possible reason would there be to compare these two samples of DNA?

Members don't see this ad.

They dug up someone who did not die

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I just watched a movie where they buried someone who did not die, and it kinda fits your story: Kill Bill.

I hope they aren't getting any federal grant money.