Forgive me, another chances thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndDent

|| Bharat Maata Ki Jai ||
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, forgive me for doing another chances thread, I'm pretty sure most of you are tired of reading these. But I'm looking to get sincere advice from my buddies here on SDN...

My stats: 3.3 overrall, 3.2 Science
DAT: 24AA/24TS/20PAT Dec'05
Graduated with degree in Psychology '05
Experience: 100 hours shadowing general dentist, 2 research publications, research at prestigious medical school, many healthcare related activities, president of pre-med/pre-dental honor society.
App status: going to get it out in the next week

I know I'm late already, but I'm applying to the schools with a late deadline, february 1st and onwards. What do you all think are my chances for this cycle, especially since most people should be hearing soon whether they got in or not, therefore clearing up spots at several schools for us late applicants or those still under review?

Thanks,
Wish you all fruitful endeavors,
IndDent

Members don't see this ad.

You might get in later...wayyyyy wayyyyy later. Then again, you might not get accepted at all. You might even have to start next cycle's AADSAS app before you get accepted.

This actually brings up an interesting question. This guy is competitive based on DAT and GPA (I don’t know about the extracurriculars). If his application had been submitted this past summer he would very well be accepted by now to some top schools (Penn, Columbia, others depending on location). However, this late in the cycle his chances go way down and he may very well be waitlisted at many schools (if not flat out rejected). So the question is can you be waitlisted and reapply at the same time? That is if he’s waitlisted at say NYU which might last through the summer till classes start can he reapply in June even though schools are still considering him. Or will he have to either take his chances on the waitlist or withdraw his application from the schools. I’m not certain if this will be an issue or not. Good luck whatever you decide!

Members don't see this ad :)
Papa_Smurf said:
This actually brings up an interesting question. This guy is competitive based on DAT and GPA (I don’t know about the extracurriculars). If his application had been submitted this past summer he would very well be accepted by now to some top schools (Penn, Columbia, others depending on location). However, this late in the cycle his chances go way down and he may very well be waitlisted at many schools (if not flat out rejected). So the question is can you be waitlisted and reapply at the same time? That is if he’s waitlisted at say NYU which might last through the summer till classes start can he reapply in June even though schools are still considering him. Or will he have to either take his chances on the waitlist or withdraw his application from the schools. I’m not certain if this will be an issue or not. Good luck whatever you decide!

nope, it happens all the time. A lot of people are waiting on schools and submit a new AADSAS. You don't need to withdraw.

Also, those are some crazy a$$ DAT scores by the OP. I don't know if Penn would have accepted him but, he would have had a great shot at some other top schools that love the DAT like UoP or Columbia.

IndDent said:
Hey all, forgive me for doing another chances thread, I'm pretty sure most of you are tired of reading these. But I'm looking to get sincere advice from my buddies here on SDN...

My stats: 3.3 overrall, 3.2 Science
DAT: 24AA/24TS/20PAT Dec'05
Graduated with degree in Psychology '05
Experience: 100 hours shadowing general dentist, 2 research publications, research at prestigious medical school, many healthcare related activities, president of pre-med/pre-dental honor society.
App status: going to get it out in the next week

I know I'm late already, but I'm applying to the schools with a late deadline, february 1st and onwards. What do you all think are my chances for this cycle, especially since most people should be hearing soon whether they got in or not, therefore clearing up spots at several schools for us late applicants or those still under review?

Thanks,
Wish you all fruitful endeavors,
IndDent

Honestly, it's quite late. You haven't even submitted your AADSAS yet?! It will take them at least 2-3 weeks to calculate your GPA and mail out your application. Remember there are at least 2 MAJOR holidays within the next 2-3 weeks.Your DATs are awesome. If you have the money and you don't mind, go ahead and apply but your chances would be significantly slimmer than if you applied in May/June. If you decide to apply next year, pls make sure you get it out by June, I'm sure you'd get in some places. Good luck!

I would wait. give yourself the opportunity to choose YOUR favorite school, rather than settle for whatever you get. what's the rush?

TimR said:
what's the rush?

The least is that he will be set back $100K.

TimR said:
I would wait. give yourself the opportunity to choose YOUR favorite school, rather than settle for whatever you get. what's the rush?
Ya, save your money. At this point you'll be wasting it despite being a good applicant. :(

Comet208 said:
The least is that he will be set back $100K.

I guess if you view this whole process in terms of dollars and nothing else, then you're right. But I honestly feel bad for people who see it that way. Just my personal opinion, I'm not saying you're wrong.

TimR said:
I guess if you view this whole process in terms of dollars and nothing else, then you're right. But I honestly feel bad for people who see it that way. Just my personal opinion, I'm not saying you're wrong.
What are you talking about? It costs alot of money to apply and there is no reason to do it if your just going to waste it. Not everone on this forum has a father that's a dentist and has money to waste on a lost cause. If you have money it's easy to not look at the world in dollars and cents but for the rest of us we don't have a choice.

Dutchboy said:
What are you talking about? It costs alot of money to apply and there is no reason to do it if your just going to waste it. Not everone on this forum has a father that's a dentist and has money to waste on a lost cause. If you have money it's easy to not look at the world in dollars and cents but for the rest of us we don't have a choice.

That's why I said I thought he should wait till next year. The other guy said that by waiting he will be losing at least $100K. He said that based on opportunity cost, which is totally legit. I just don't think you can live life like that. It's not as if he is going to be financially challenged by starting dentistry one year later. My dad's not a dentist by the way. I am in debt. Don't kid yourself, you self righteous little bugger.

About chances... How much weight does a masters hold for an applicant?

{Im sure it's not as big as great DAT scores and a good GPA, but does having an MBA make a bit of a difference?}

I was wondering would it be possible for the OP to bypass AADSAS at this stage because it would take forever for AADSAS to send out the application. Instead, can he just send the application (reference letter, transcripts, personal statement, fees) to the school directly?

you'll be fine if you applied to schools that have later application processing time-tables, relax.