forgiving early college career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattpre

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this thread is repetitive but it was not an easy one to search for. I have a BS in business administration with a 2.9 GPA. My GPA my last two years was much higher than my earlier college career. Additionally I will need to go back for 30 science credits which will help my improve my GPA. I am looking for schools that do the following:

1.) Place more weight on the end of your undergraduate career over the start
2.) Forgive or average classes you have retaken

Knowing this ahead of time will save me the effort of taking all those science credits if I can't get in anywhere.

Thanks!
Matt

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you pull B's or A's on those courses you'll be golden. I think there was a place on the ptcas application that asked if your grades reflected the type of student you are or something along those lines. You could explain anything there. Lots of schools look at grade trends and understand that a lot of people have sub par first years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a similar situation as you--- I have a 3.1 cumulative GPA and 3.2ish for last 60 hours-- it would to take A LOT of unnecessary courses to pull that up.

I specifically asked that question to UT-Southwestern Admissions Counselor and he told me that for non-traditional students they aren't going to make you pay for mistakes you made when you were 18/19 years old--- in those situations they place more weight on what you have done lately--- so, make it a point to do well especially on your pre-req GPA.

Thanks for all the help. I live near University of New England and spoke with someone there in admissions. They have become very strict with cutting down applications based on GPA's. The rep told me about how many more applications they have been receiving since joining the PTCAS. This shook my confidence.

I also am a non trad applicant with a BS in business. My undergrad was a 3.0 gpa. I took over 30 hours in pre-reqs and earned around a 3.7-3.8 depending on the school. My GRE was a 315 4.0AW. I've been wait listed at 3 schools and have an interview coming up soon.
I was rejected from several schools because I didn't do enough research on what they looked at most (overall gpa) or applied late in their cycle. Call schools to see what they find to be a more important indicator of success (overall vs pre-req).
I'm starting to get worried and wish I would've found this forum sooner. I think my biggest issue was not applying early enough. My best advice is to apply as early as possible. Have everything ready to submit as soon as PTCAS opens.
Hopefully I'll hear some good news soon or else it looks like I'll be re-applying next cycle. Good luck.

I am in a similar situation as you--- I have a 3.1 cumulative GPA and 3.2ish for last 60 hours-- it would to take A LOT of unnecessary courses to pull that up.

I don't understand what you mean by "unnecessary courses." Re-taking a few classes to raise your GPA isn't a waste of time. In fact, it'll make you a more competitive candidate.

You need to explain your GPA in your personal statement, and in the essay on PTCAS that explains why your grades don't reflect your true potential and aptitude. Schools should understand that we don't always make the best decisions when we're 18-years-old.

Your 2.9 GPA will automatically disqualify you from many schools. I'm sorry to say this, but PTCAS has made it so easy to apply. It's so competitive these days that they must have a non-negotiable threshold.

Kevin

Also call schools. I was running at 2.9 cGPA on PTCAS. Most schools has the minimum 3.0 but some don't take the average grade if you repeated a course. Some school takes the highest grade. You just have to call each school. It gets repetitive but it saves you time/money. I guess this only applies if you repeated a class. It brought my cGPA to a 3.12.

I don't understand what you mean by "unnecessary courses." Re-taking a few classes to raise your GPA isn't a waste of time. In fact, it'll make you a more competitive candidate.

You need to explain your GPA in your personal statement, and in the essay on PTCAS that explains why your grades don't reflect your true potential and aptitude. Schools should understand that we don't always make the best decisions when we're 18-years-old.

Your 2.9 GPA will automatically disqualify you from many schools. I'm sorry to say this, but PTCAS has made it so easy to apply. It's so competitive these days that they must have a non-negotiable threshold.

Kevin

It is definitely not an unnessary courses. I had so much credits that it took about 78 units to bring my GPA up. If you take PT related courses it should not only look good but you get your GPA up (only assuming you do well), it's fun, and schools will look highly upon it. I know a school that I interviewed at was impressed that I took courses outside of their prereqs. Look into biomechanic / excercise physiology / neuroscience. At this point you have to show them something.

I agree I would definitely get that 2.9 up in the 3.0 range since it would be an automatic disqualification.

By "unnecessary courses" I mean courses that you are not required for pre-requisites. By all means if you have the time (and money) to take additional bio/kines courses it won't hurt you!

Hell- I wish I had the time to take more classes! But most non-trads are balancing work, school, families-- naturally something has to give.

Instead of trying to bring up a cumulative GPA I would focus more on last 60hrs GPA/science GPA/pre-req GPA--- from the schools I have talked to they focus more on "what have you done lately?" with non-trad applicants-- but I guess it all depends on what schools you are applying to.