Foriegn med. schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureDOc?!?

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Sanjay and I live in Toronto Canda. This is my first time using this website. I was wondering if anyone knows of any schools which will take in students without having a degree or even college training hours. I have finished high school here in Canada, and I am currently in my first yr. at the University of Toronto. I have been researching the offshore med schools and most of them want students with a degree or at least 2 yrs of college/university experience. Is there any schools which accept students based on high school marks? Any info would be helpful. Im not only looking into schools in the carribean.......anywhere in the world!!!!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Royal College in Dublin and possibly the schools in Australia (Flinders, etc).

Sanjay,

Be patient and put in a couple of years at UofT and then apply to Canadian and American schools. It's really not worth it to go overseas just to save a few years. You'll have a difficult time getting into a residency program here in Canada or the US when you're done. Most Canadian schools will accept you after only 3 years if your marks and MCATs are good.

Also, many of the European and Australian medical schools are 6 years compared to the 4 years in N.A. You really won't save any time.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by prefontaine:
Royal College in Dublin and possibly the schools in Australia (Flinders, etc).

Flinders, University of Sydney and University of Queensland are 4 year programs and all REQUIRE a bachelor's degree (not just 90 units) from an accredited university as well as the MCAT. The remainder of the Aussie schools are traditional English curriclums, or 6 years right out of HS as is the case for the majority of UK schools.

There is a thread on the Everybody Forum which is asking about medical school in the UK. Several posters have given excellent information and advice as well as resources to seek out this information. You would be well advised to take a look at that thread for more information.

There is a medical program in Hungary which is six years long. They will accept students directly after high school. There are many students from Canada and the United States. If you want more info., you can contact me.

I went to Hungary directly after high school to save time, but it was the biggest mistake I ever made. I would not recommend any foreign school to anyone unless it was a last option.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

i disagree with you. i my self am from toronto and applied to med school in dublin. First of all RCSI has one of the best international reputations
Also living abroad is amazing. I applied straight from highschool so i do not know if you could apply for the 6/yr program with your highschool marks b/c you are at UofT. If i were you i would research it on thier web site www.rcsi.ie or finish your ba and take the mcat and apply for the 5/yr program. best of luck

You might consider transfering to one of the universities that have a 6 year program. They are listed in the back of the AAMC book listing all the US and Canadian programs. There are also some schools that have early acceptances.

But you should consider seriously your reasons for wanting to get started so quickly. College gives you time to discover what you really want out of life and to mature. Medicine isn't going anywhere.

Almost medical schools in eastern europe offes 6-year programs. I know that in Russia also they have some ones, and there are students from Canada and the USA in Moscow State University

Dear Sanjay,

Here, in Italy, you can apply to a school of Medicine if you have done high school only,
and you haven't college training hours.
But,you have, of course, to understand italian language and to dedicate your full time to study and for medical training; Almost all the examinations are oral, but if you want, you can study on american medical texts. You must, as first, to pass a sort of MCAT, then you have to study at least six years;if you want to specialize you must study five years again plus two years for achieving a Ph.D.
If you are interested you can go and speak to
the nearest italian consulate or to Italy Embassy and visit the Web Page of the MURST
the Italian Dept. for the University and Scientific and Technologic Research. A personal advice: be patient! If you really want to study abroad,choose Ireland, Belgium or
other Western Europe countries with the exception of Greece, and Iberic Countries; no Eastern Europe, no Russia or other such places. Good Luck and take care. Till

[This message has been edited by Till (edited 03-06-2001).]

Hi Sanjay,

IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY. Indeed, all the med schools in Quebec accept students after CEGEP (which is more or less the equivalent of one year of university). About 60% of each entering class in McGill, Montreal, Sherbrooke and Quebec(Laval) are from CEGEP. The rest of us have either a BSc, MSc or PhD. If you are fluent in French, why don't you give it a try? (or else, go to McGill, it's obviously an English language university).

Jean-Philippe