FORM AT playaz!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

judoka

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What did ya'll think? I hope there is a curve, but i think i did well. What did people put for that orgo problem where you had to figure out the transition between structures 8 and 9? I put A, but only because i could not find how the other answers would work.

Members don't see this ad.

who cares about the orgo, that was easy, compared to the other menacing passages. How did you do compared to aamc ful lengths. I did much worse, especially on the non-mcat bio passages.

I think i did ok. I did well on the sample mcats, but i never really went as carefully as i did yesterday, because i hate stupid mistakes. I think i did well. I know there was alot of genetics stuff, but at least we didn't have to have stuff memorized...it was all in the passage, we just needed to fish it out. still, it was not as easy at the AAMC ones because we had to read alot more...i think the new mcats are going to be like these, where the focus is on immediate synthesis of new material and not the regurgitation of undergrad.

does anyone remember the question that asked how could you test the acidity of this particular compound. The choices were pH meter, lithmus paper, acid base titration...and something else....what did you guys put and why? I had absolutely not clue. It seemed like you could test the pH with all of the choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also said ph meter. Litmus paper would only tell you if the compound was an acid or a base. Titration also has a narrow range and forces you to choose between various indicators depending on what you think the ph could be. A ph meter is the simplest method and will cover the widest range of ph's.

Hope that helps.

yeah pH meter was right... you needed an answer that was capable of giving you an exact pH, so you could therefore calculate that other thing they wanted in the experiment

woo hooo...i chose pH meter also! yeha i know, lets just hope we are right with that one. :D

wow, i chose titration. i've no clue why i picked that....but ph meter did stick out as the most versatile, guess im just a bad guesser.

Please, all of you, help me out jus a lil. I am trying to find out how many C's were in the last passage of form AT's PS section. Thanks. I hope someone remembers this crazy fact from their exam....

Originally posted by judoka
What did ya'll think? I hope there is a curve, but i think i did well. What did people put for that orgo problem where you had to figure out the transition between structures 8 and 9? I put A, but only because i could not find how the other answers would work.

i put i think it was letter D.........with the hydroxyl group.....reason being, it ended up being a ketone, so i figured the intermediate would be a 2ndary alcohol............i'm not posivitive, but it seemed like good enoupgh reasoning.......

nero

Nero, I put letter D with the Hydroxyl group. I forget my reasoning, but that was one of the questions I was unsure of.

I put D as well. I used the same reasoning as Nero.

Does anyone remember the discrete question dealing, "what has electric involved...."

the choices were hNMR Or IR.

Those are the only two choices I remember. Anyone else have recollection about this question. I put HNMR for the choice, don't know why though.

I put A over D (i went back and swizzzzitched 'em) because I couldn't see how an OH would become a carbonyl in the absence of a oxidizing agent. Anyway, i hope those nights i spent chanting "perfection is the key" (in lieu of studying) paid off... Man, it is hard waiting for scores...i wonder how long we'd have to wait if they didn't have to freakin' grade a worthless essay portion.

for the electronic transitions joint, i put UV because i think that's what it is. i checked my orgo book afterwords and i think was right.

Originally posted by Samoa
I put A for the intermediate structure--my reasoning was that the solvent used was acetone, so it had to have two carbons on the other side of the oxygens

hey samoa, how did the structure for this one look....do you remeber what reagents were there?.........besdides acetone....

nero

Originally posted by judoka
for the electronic transitions joint, i put UV because i think that's what it is. i checked my orgo book afterwords and i think was right.

Wait, I put nmr, cuz it stuck out. It was the only one without rays I think......does that seem right.

nero, it was the one with the two -OH groups substituted with CH3-C=O. It's hard to explain it, and I can't draw it on this forum, but it was the only one that I could reason my way back to the original molecules available for the reaction. I wasn't 100% certain of the answer.

Originally posted by Samoa
nero, it was the one with the two -OH groups substituted with CH3-C=O. It's hard to explain it, and I can't draw it on this forum, but it was the only one that I could reason my way back to the original molecules available for the reaction. I wasn't 100% certain of the answer.

yeah i think i remember the one you were talking about....i wasn't too certain either that's why i was wondering how you reasoned it out..........i guess we'll really never know...........

nero