Formatting Activities Descriptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

majahops

YOU are great.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can somebody please provide an example of how they formatted their activites descriptions? Specifically, research project and/or vocational experience.

Thanks so much, it means a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Just be logical, use returns when needed or necessary. Make it easy to follow. How would you want it presented if YOU were reading 200 of these today?

I would want the reflections portion to be in paragraph form, but the tasks to be bullet point... but I don't know if that is acceptable. That's why im asking to see an example.

Just be logical, use returns when needed or necessary. Make it easy to follow. How would you want it presented if YOU were reading 200 of these today?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody able to help me here?

Thanks so much

I would want the reflections portion to be in paragraph form, but the tasks to be bullet point... but I don't know if that is acceptable. That's why im asking to see an example.

The reflections portion? I was under the impression from LizzyM that they really don't want to hear you reflect on your activity, just a brief statement of what you did.

LizzyM recommended brevity, something along the lines of "skipping the warm and fuzzies." She gave an example of a more brief statement of what you got out of it keeping it down to a sentence or two. That being said she also recommended not really "reflecting" on items like tutoring at an elementary school unless there was something different that the usual, aka the adcoms know what goes into and comes out of tutoring.

Note: I am PRETTY sure all of this came from lizzyM, simply because I cant recall exactly what she said and I'm not taking the time to look, BUT I AM sure all of this comes from either her or other adcoms I've heard speak and or post, thus it is all applicable.

Wow, so they don't want to know what tasks you carried out in a medical research project funded by the cdc, for instance? they just want you to say one or two lines about what u got out of it?

LizzyM recommended brevity, something along the lines of "skipping the warm and fuzzies." She gave an example of a more brief statement of what you got out of it keeping it down to a sentence or two. That being said she also recommended not really "reflecting" on items like tutoring at an elementary school unless there was something different that the usual, aka the adcoms know what goes into and comes out of tutoring.

Note: I am PRETTY sure all of this came from lizzyM, simply because I cant recall exactly what she said and I'm not taking the time to look, BUT I AM sure all of this comes from either her or other adcoms I've heard speak and or post, thus it is all applicable.

Wow, so they don't want to know what tasks you carried out in a medical research project funded by the cdc, for instance? they just want you to say one or two lines about what u got out of it?
I think they would rather see you list the tasks and forget the " i really enjoyed this activity, because it gave me an opportunity to help ppl..yada yada"

What you're describing is a situation where bullet points seem most appropriate... can somebody just include an example?

Describe the activity, don't yammer on about how you felt or how it helped you realize that you hated bench research and wanted to do patient care.

I think that you want something like this (totally made up) example

Worked on effect of temperature manipulation on the lifecycle of the dodo bird. Responsibities included:
--routine care of the animal colony
--surgical removal and examination of oviducts
--prepared culture media and general upkeep of laboratory
--learned ABC and EDF techniques for identification of polymorphisms

Lizzy,

No wonder this entire community holds you in such high regard.

Thank you, you kind, kind human being you.

Describe the activity, don't yammer on about how you felt or how it helped you realize that you hated bench research and wanted to do patient care.

I think that you want something like this (totally made up) example

Worked on effect of temperature manipulation on the lifecycle of the dodo bird. Responsibities included:
--routine care of the animal colony
--surgical removal and examination of oviducts
--prepared culture media and general upkeep of laboratory
--learned ABC and EDF techniques for identification of polymorphisms