Former Slacker Wondering If I Can Redeem Myself...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Valerian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure this is unheard of, but over the course of four years I managed to rack up eight W's and an F. I also attended three different colleges over that course of time. The biggest problem is I don't really have a good excuse for it either. I had very bad untreated depression and wound up in the hospital for it. I ended up dropping out of college. Thankfully, I was able to get treatment and I am ready to get back to school.

I know I am in a precarious situation now. I've always had a strong interest in the medical field but due to my depression, I felt like it was something I would never be able to accomplish. However, now that I am feeling happy and healthy I really want to pursue some kind of career in the medical field. I plan on going back to school for a new degree (start "fresh").

So... the biggest question is, have I completely destroyed any chance for a medical degree? I don't think transcripts can look much worse than mine. Assuming I am able to get my undergrad along with prereqs finished without anymore W's (or F's, ugh!), do I have any glimpse of hope? As bad as my transcripts look, I still had a decent gpa -- 3.6 average. Hard to justify that with so many W's though. I know the next biggest issue would be explaining the W's. I have done my research -- I know all about the statistics regarding med students and doctors with depression & suicide rates. So obviously, I wouldn't be able to use depression as an excuse, haha.

I have already prepared myself for the likelihood that med school is not a possibility and I am looking into becoming a PA or NP at this point as well, but I can't stop without trying at least.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure this is unheard of, but over the course of four years I managed to rack up eight W's and an F. I also attended three different colleges over that course of time. The biggest problem is I don't really have a good excuse for it either. I had very bad untreated depression and wound up in the hospital for it. I ended up dropping out of college. Thankfully, I was able to get treatment and I am ready to get back to school.

I know I am in a precarious situation now. I've always had a strong interest in the medical field but due to my depression, I felt like it was something I would never be able to accomplish. However, now that I am feeling happy and healthy I really want to pursue some kind of career in the medical field. I plan on going back to school for a new degree (start "fresh").

So... the biggest question is, have I completely destroyed any chance for a medical degree? I don't think transcripts can look much worse than mine. Assuming I am able to get my undergrad along with prereqs finished without anymore W's (or F's, ugh!), do I have any glimpse of hope? As bad as my transcripts look, I still had a decent gpa -- 3.6 average. Hard to justify that with so many W's though. I know the next biggest issue would be explaining the W's. I have done my research -- I know all about the statistics regarding med students and doctors with depression & suicide rates. So obviously, I wouldn't be able to use depression as an excuse, haha.

I have already prepared myself for the likelihood that med school is not a possibility and I am looking into becoming a PA or NP at this point as well, but I can't stop without trying at least.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Always a chance to redeem yourself. If this is what you want, you can do it. No doubt.

Now, depression is something that was discussed on the pre-allo forums. Don't use it as a crutch. Rather, briefly explain what you learned from it etc.

3.6 is not a bad GPA at all. If you can complete the pre-reqs and get a degree, and score decently on the MCAT... you'll be golden.

Along with the right ECs etc. Should be just fine. Make sure you get some clinical exposure/shadowing to make sure you want to commit to this field. See my signature... quote by AlexMorph.

Best of luck!:luck:

I agree that you have a chance, especially if your 3.6 includes the F, and particularly if you can avoid further glitches in your academic road. Let your future academic record show that you are consistently the new, hard-working, committed you and no longer the old, unfocused you. Adcomms love a good redemption story.

Now, look at my sig.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that you have a chance, especially if your 3.6 includes the F, and particularly if you can avoid further glitches in your academic road. Let your future academic record show that you are consistently the new, hard-working, committed you and no longer the old, unfocused you. Adcomms love a good redemption story.

Now, look at my sig.

Now look at my post.

Now look at my sig.

Old spice anyone?

Adcomms love a good redemption story.

I agree with Catalystik! Well, both responses for that matter. You may not hear it all too often, but there are many successful doctors that have had to overcome MANY obstacles. Never let fear, the thought that it's impossible, or grades keep you from pursuing your dreams. Start fresh now. Like someone has already mentioned, do well in your pre-requisites and great on your MCAT and you will be fine. I don't think your academic record in the past will hold you back. If you do well now and in the future, it will actually show that you are competent, hard working, and dedicated to fulfilling your goals.

I know a cardiovascular surgery resident at John Hopkin's who dropped out HS and College due to his girlfriends pregnancy, made B's in remedial math classes in college, and had absolutely no support. Now he's going to be a SURGEON!

Three things I challenge you to do:
1) Write a list of why you want to pursue medicine and keep it in front of you. Remind yourself of it daily--it will be beneficial when you get into harder classes or when you're burnt out.

2)NEVER GIVE UP! Continue to stay encouraged and surround yourself with people who support your goals/dreams.

3) Be BOLD! Don't be afraid to write letters to Doctors offices to acquire shadowing opportunities, don't be afraid to reach out to other pre-medical students, and be bold to get involved in something you are passionate about. Many people tell me that the road to medical is not something you should do on your own. Get to know people that can help you.

These are websites that I love to read. They keep me motivated and encouraged. If they can do it, you can too! :)

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/stories/175186/rochford.html

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/03/07/from-community-college-to-yale-medical-school/

I agree with Catalystik! Well, both responses for that matter. You may not hear it all too often, but there are many successful doctors that have had to overcome MANY obstacles. Never let fear, the thought that it's impossible, or grades keep you from pursuing your dreams. Start fresh now. Like someone has already mentioned, do well in your pre-requisites and great on your MCAT and you will be fine. I don't think your academic record in the past will hold you back. If you do well now and in the future, it will actually show that you are competent, hard working, and dedicated to fulfilling your goals.

I know a cardiovascular surgery resident at John Hopkin's who dropped out HS and College due to his girlfriends pregnancy, made B's in remedial math classes in college, and had absolutely no support. Now he's going to be a SURGEON!

Three things I challenge you to do:
1) Write a list of why you want to pursue medicine and keep it in front of you. Remind yourself of it daily--it will be beneficial when you get into harder classes or when you're burnt out.

2)NEVER GIVE UP! Continue to stay encouraged and surround yourself with people who support your goals/dreams.

3) Be BOLD! Don't be afraid to write letters to Doctors offices to acquire shadowing opportunities, don't be afraid to reach out to other pre-medical students, and be bold to get involved in something you are passionate about. Many people tell me that the road to medical is not something you should do on your own. Get to know people that can help you.

These are websites that I love to read. They keep me motivated and encouraged. If they can do it, you can too! :)

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/stories/175186/rochford.html

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/03/07/from-community-college-to-yale-medical-school/

Love this post.

Thanks for the encouragement! It's relieving to know it's not a set in stone impossibility. I know I have a LONG road ahead of me considering I am redoing my undergrad -- I will be at least 35 years old if I ever make it to, and finish medical school, ha. Time to get to work!

Thanks for the encouragement! It's relieving to know it's not a set in stone impossibility. I know I have a LONG road ahead of me considering I am redoing my undergrad -- I will be at least 35 years old if I ever make it to, and finish medical school, ha. Time to get to work!

Oh, I will be 42 when I finish it. I will be starting with going back to college this september and I'm 29 now.
I'm sure you will be able to make it! :thumbup: for going through with your dreams despite life throwing its usual pitfalls on you!

I'll put more reality check here. Job in medical field does not equate to medical degree; as you mentioned, there are other careers that you may fit better. Think hard and come up with a compelling reason for yourself and for adcoms as to why you should be selected. At the moment, I don't necessarily see it.

I'll put more reality check here. Job in medical field does not equate to medical degree; as you mentioned, there are other careers that you may fit better. Think hard and come up with a compelling reason for yourself and for adcoms as to why you should be selected. At the moment, I don't necessarily see it.

Well, I was asking what my chances were strictly in regards to my transcripts, so I didn't feel it was necessary to go into my reasons for wanting to become a doctor. Sorry for not clarifying that! I have my reasons, and if I ever make it to an interview I will go into them :)

Well, I was asking what my chances were strictly in regards to my transcripts, so I didn't feel it was necessary to go into my reasons for wanting to become a doctor. Sorry for not clarifying that! I have my reasons, and if I ever make it to an interview I will go into them :)

That is perfectly fine. Most early posters just ask one question and never come back. So I tend to critically ask if they really have any intention to go on to what it takes; otherwise, it's waste of my time and for that individual. Best luck to you - like others said, it is good that your GPA didn't suffer too much, but I would really consider mainly DO if I were you. Shadow some DO physicians, get great letter of rec, and you should be fine. DO also does grade-replacement which might be worthwhile to look into since you have several F's.

It's NEVER too late! Don't let your age be a factor. Age only makes you wiser and more experienced. You have more to bring to the table.

In my opinion, that's an advantage. Use it :)

It's never too late. There was a 50+ yo psychologist-turned-MD at the hospital I volunteered at. He went to SLU SOM.