Mar 24, 2010
Status
So, I just received the boatload of forms that I have to fill out for the residency where I matched last week...

Among the usual ones (coat size, vacation request, etc.) was an EXTREMELY detailed health questionnaire...including a detailed family history and probably one of the most extensive ROS that I have ever seen (do I have excessively dry skin, do I have a weak urine stream, do I have itchy ears...and it just keeps going)

Is this a normal type of form that residency programs typically ask newly matched folks to fill out? Has anyone else had to fill out a similar form?

I don't have anything to hide, but it just seems rather invasive to me. I can understand if they were just trying to make sure that I can perform my duties as a resident...but how does my grandmother having breast cancer, or whether or not I have irregular periods, or whether I perform monthly testicular exams, or weather I have seasonal allergies, etc. affect my ability to treat patients?

The more I read it, the more ridiculous it seems...

The bottom of the form says that it's from human resources, so I don't think it's protected by HIPPA.

Could it be for insurance underwriting purposes? But then why wouldn't the insurance company us their own form?

What gives? :confused:

medsRus

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2008
Status
So, I just received the boatload of forms that I have to fill out for the residency where I matched last week...

Among the usual ones (coat size, vacation request, etc.) was an EXTREMELY detailed health questionnaire...including a detailed family history and probably one of the most extensive ROS that I have ever seen (do I have excessively dry skin, do I have a weak urine stream, do I have itchy ears...and it just keeps going)

Is this a normal type of form that residency programs typically ask newly matched folks to fill out? Has anyone else had to fill out a similar form?

I don't have anything to hide, but it just seems rather invasive to me. I can understand if they were just trying to make sure that I can perform my duties as a resident...but how does my grandmother having breast cancer, or whether or not I have irregular periods, or whether I perform monthly testicular exams, or weather I have seasonal allergies, etc. affect my ability to treat patients?

The bottom of the form says that it's from human resources, so I don't think it's protected by HIPPA.

Could it be for insurance underwriting purposes? But then why wouldn't the insurance company us their own form?

Do you have get a physical before starting?

mcl

10+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2008
Status
Academic Administration
Yes, the medical clearance forms are normal, although admittedly no fun. Our residents send them directly to the occupational medicine office in order to maintain confidentiality--so I never find out about itchy ears and what not all else

Mar 24, 2010
Status
Yes, the medical clearance forms are normal, although admittedly no fun. Our residents send them directly to the occupational medicine office in order to maintain confidentiality--so I never find out about itchy ears and what not all else

Thanks.

Ours has us send them right back to the GME office. Would it be inappropriate to say that I would rather send them back to the occ med office? ugh...I guess I shouldn't rock the boat this early in the game.

mcl

10+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2008
Status
Academic Administration
Thanks.

Ours has us send them right back to the GME office. Would it be inappropriate to say that I would rather send them back to the occ med office? ugh...I guess I shouldn't rock the boat this early in the game.
You could try returning them to the GME office sealed in an envelope marked Confidential Health Information.

odieoh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2003
www.cubs.com
Status
Attending Physician
You could try returning them to the GME office sealed in an envelope marked Confidential Health Information.
Eh, if you really don't want someone digging around in your records I probably wouldn't. The surest way to have someone read something they shouldn't is to mark it "TOP SECRET" in big red letters. Writing confidential health blah blah isn't going to stop them from reading it if it's addressed to them. Safest bet is to send it in a regular inconspicuous envelope and it will blend in with all the others that will be coming in. It will just be paperwork to file.

EM2BE

Elf
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We have to get a physical if the doc who reads the ROS deems it necessary. TB test is mandatory for all.

Moonglow

Removed
Sep 2, 2009
Maryland
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
My residency, before July 1st, PGY-1: criminal background check, drug test, physical (we received TB and tetanus shots). You will also be required to read and sign-off on several dozen internal policy forms, work/tax forms, and departmental related forms. And, you will continue to fill out all kinds of forms for the rest of your residency.

dragonfly99

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
You'll have to fill out even more paperwork for attending or fellowship jobs (b/c have to apply for "hospital privileges").

brotherman

7+ Year Member
May 26, 2009
Somewhere.
Status
Attending Physician

My first residency did have me fill out a health questionaire, albeit, not too detailed as what you're describing but no physical examination prior to starting. For my current residency, there are more forms to fillout (not too sure the contents) but this institution requires a pre employment physical examination prior to starting. I guess it depends on the institution and their policies. I think all institutions would administer a TB test.

Madinat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]

i'm with you, these questions are ridiculous! they wanna know if i've had any infertility issues (for females) or "difficulty with sexual function" (for males). i don't see how this is related to my ability to do my job well. stress maybe? WTF

Feb 2, 2010
Status
MD/PhD Student
What kinds of issues are they trying to address? Is this for insurance or for job performance? I don't advocate for lying or falsifying this information especially if we know what these ROS's are getting at, but I'm wondering what they do with "red flags" - fire people? What are they looking at - infectious diseases titers? People on antidepressants? Other? I'd love to know what the occupational medicine people do with this information.

medsRus

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2008
Status
What kinds of issues are they trying to address? Is this for insurance or for job performance? I don't advocate for lying or falsifying this information especially if we know what these ROS's are getting at, but I'm wondering what they do with "red flags" - fire people? What are they looking at - infectious diseases titers? People on antidepressants? Other? I'd love to know what the occupational medicine people do with this information.
Can one refuse to provide this information if they already have insurance and start residency???

edfig99

15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
NYC
Status
Attending Physician, Academic Administration
some of those questions are also to identify pre-existing issues for the purposes of worker's compensation in the event you are injured on the job.

edfig99

15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
NYC
Status
Attending Physician, Academic Administration
neither.

the accrediting body for hospitals (Joint Commission) along with state health department require hospitals to make sure that there is no infectious or other risk to patients, so hospitals require extensive "clearance" for their staff.

gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Although I have yet to receive it, I have been told to look out for an 8+ page extensive health questionnaire. I can only assume it will inlcude similar questions to the OP's.