Founder effect question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scarletblack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From EK 1001 Bio #925:

The founder effect is occasionally associated with a reduction in genetic diversity and overall health and fitness that is most likely caused by the occurence of:

A. Inbreeding only
B. Population bottleneck only
C. Both A and B
D. Neither A nor B

Ok so I chose A, because I thought population bottleneck is when there is some large percentage of population being killed off and that causes and amplification of genes.

Yet they tell me the answer is C. How is population bottleneck involved here?

Members don't see this ad.

From EK 1001 Bio #925:

The founder effect is occasionally associated with a reduction in genetic diversity and overall health and fitness that is most likely caused by the occurence of:

A. Inbreeding only
B. Population bottleneck only
C. Both A and B
D. Neither A nor B

Ok so I chose A, because I thought population bottleneck is when there is some large percentage of population being killed off and that causes and amplification of genes.

Yet they tell me the answer is C. How is population bottleneck involved here?

If you have a large disaster (say a big flood) and only a few members of the population survives, those few would be the only ones whose genes get propagated. So, in essence they are "founders" of a new population, whose genes get amplified. I think cheetahs are an example of population bottleneck. They're so inbred that cheetahs can accept skin grafts from each other with no rejection, without having to be twins. Ah the things you learn from EK ;)