Four Cs... bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arcella

Protozoa :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made two C+'s in Ochem, a C in Biochem, and a C in comparative anatomy. I was basically lazy my sophomore year. Is this a bad thing?

Members don't see this ad.

No, not such a bad thing IF it was a thing of the past. If your grades have been great since then, you should be ok. There are alot of folks in med school that have done much worse. If it came down to it, I might consider retaking one or two of them just so you could get your gpa up.

Good Luck

I made two C+'s in Ochem, a C in Biochem, and a C in comparative anatomy. I was basically lazy my sophomore year. Is this a bad thing?

I agree with AustinFinklea with the caveat that it is difficult to tell given the small amount of information you gave us.

Members don't see this ad :)
How are your overall and science GPA's??

Basically I have made straight As and a B+ here and there since. CGpa is 3.5 SGpa is probably around a 3.1-3.2 perhaps? Still haven't taken the MCAT, pretty confident I could score at least a 25 on it. I also go to one of the few schools that is on the block system, i.e. I take one class at a time, 3 hours a day, 2+ for lab for 4 weeks. To say the least, it can get pretty stressful.

Basically I have made straight As and a B+ here and there since. CGpa is 3.5 SGpa is probably around a 3.1-3.2 perhaps? Still haven't taken the MCAT, pretty confident I could score at least a 25 on it. I also go to one of the few schools that is on the block system, i.e. I take one class at a time, 3 hours a day, 2+ for lab for 4 weeks. To say the least, it can get pretty stressful.

i say retake those classes.

i say retake those classes.

Well unfortunately I will be graduating in May and have no time to retake those classes. I am taking a year off. Would it be looked down upon if I retake, lets say organic chemistry at a CC??

Well unfortunately I will be graduating in May and have no time to retake those classes. I am taking a year off. Would it be looked down upon if I retake, lets say organic chemistry at a CC??

do they even teach orgo at a CC?

I retook orgo at a commcoll because I had gotten a C, I ended up getting an A at commcoll and it counted towards my overall gpa and I got into med school... Good luck...

I retook orgo at a commcoll because I had gotten a C, I ended up getting an A at commcoll and it counted towards my overall gpa and I got into med school... Good luck...

slinkey, did u get in anywhere else besides dcom?

I've never seen 4 cs, but pleny of double DDs.

Sorry, worst joke ever, just couldn't resist

If you have around a 3.2 GPA for both science and overall that's good. If you can manage the 25 or better on the mcat you should have no problem getting some interviews. :) Four C's is much different than four D's or F's.

If your grades have been good since then, and you have a 3.5 overall, 3.2ish for science your fine, you won't have to take them over, I had a few Cs here and there Mostly my freshman year but it never held me back. I have not ever taken a class over but I showed a drastic increase in GPA my junior year. Just do as well as you can on the MCAT you should be fine

You have decent stats, I'd be surprised if you don't get at least a couple of interviews. It might be something you want to explain if it comes up but do well on your MCAT and you can say those were fluke grades and you obviously understand it because you did well on the MCAT.

definitely won't hold you back for either MD or DO schools good luck!

do they even teach orgo at a CC?

yes, that's where I was planning on retaking mine. I'm doing it because of finances, not because it will be easier. I found out CCs are not easier than universities, depending on the professor.

yes, that's where I was planning on retaking mine. I'm doing it because of finances, not because it will be easier. I found out CCs are not easier than universities, depending on the professor.

I just retook BIO 1 at a CC and it certainly wasnt easy.On the flipside of that the professor was one of the most caring people I've ever met and she took the extra step to make sure the students did well.This is in completely contrast to my BIO 1 experience at my 4 yr school in which the professor would ask if you showed up for office hours "why are you here"?. BTW I got an A for the BIO 1 retake!
cheers
howie