Fourth year applying psych looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superfrogpoke

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a 4th year DO student. Currently, I have 2 away rotations in my preferred geographical area - both in traditionally AOA (but now ACGME) programs that require an audition for interview. I had planned on doing a third in an ACGME program in my dream school, and made room in my schedule specifically for that school by applying to over 12 electives in psych over 3 months. Yesterday, they rejected 11/12 and left one pending. The registrar informed me that they generally don't even make decisions until 30 days before the rotation starts, so I'm really not sure what's going on since some of the rejections were for November. So I'm assuming that I have a strong chance of not rotating there at all, leaving me with the two auditions.
Many upperclassmen at my school have done up to 5 auditions. Am I in a really bad position here? Step 1 24x, Level 1 7xx, Step 2/Level 2 pending, passed CE. I've done some unpublished TBI research, and did a research-based master's thesis in a cognition related field. My only real volunteering experience is through crisis text line.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't feel as thought the audition rotations will make or break your application. Get the passes on the step IIs. Knock out your 4th year well.
Then apply broadly for the match. Then hold on tight for interview season. Do your best to plan interviews in fashion that you aren't overly exerted. Impossible to avoid as you will eventually find your self at another interview wondering, "what city am I in again?" Pinch yourself hard and get your A game on, can't look tired or ambivalent at interviews. Need to be fully present mentally, and cognitively engaged in the whole day and the whole interview process. Its marathon, flex your self care muscles. Good luck.

If I were a psychiatry clerkship director and I received 12 applications from the same medical student I would probably say, "Hay, you can't take up all of our sub-Is. We value those as a recruitment tool. We will see if you can have one after more applications come in". Although I have to say that I hear it really isn't possible to accept the "good" sub-Is and reject the "weak" ones because schools give out almost no performance evaluation data. Now that you are down 11 applications, try applying to a couple of different programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were a psychiatry clerkship director and I received 12 applications from the same medical student I would probably say, "Hay, you can't take up all of our sub-Is. We value those as a recruitment tool. We will see if you can have one after more applications come in". Although I have to say that I hear it really isn't possible to accept the "good" sub-Is and reject the "weak" ones because schools give out almost no performance evaluation data. Now that you are down 11 applications, try applying to a couple of different programs.

I totally understand where you are coming from, but VSAS allows you to specify how many you'd like to be accepted for - which was one rotation. I applied for 12 and ranked them in order of preference. They rejected all but my lowest preference, which they left as pending. I am trying to send out more applications, but I'm not sure if living away from where I pay rent for a month is financially feasible for me on top of residency costs unless I take out personal private loans.

Don't feel as thought the audition rotations will make or break your application. Get the passes on the step IIs. Knock out your 4th year well.
Then apply broadly for the match. Then hold on tight for interview season. Do your best to plan interviews in fashion that you aren't overly exerted. Impossible to avoid as you will eventually find your self at another interview wondering, "what city am I in again?" Pinch yourself hard and get your A game on, can't look tired or ambivalent at interviews. Need to be fully present mentally, and cognitively engaged in the whole day and the whole interview process. Its marathon, flex your self care muscles. Good luck.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm going to work my absolute hardest going forward and hopefully things will work out.

Hi,

I'm a 4th year DO student. Currently, I have 2 away rotations in my preferred geographical area - both in traditionally AOA (but now ACGME) programs that require an audition for interview. I had planned on doing a third in an ACGME program in my dream school, and made room in my schedule specifically for that school by applying to over 12 electives in psych over 3 months. Yesterday, they rejected 11/12 and left one pending. The registrar informed me that they generally don't even make decisions until 30 days before the rotation starts, so I'm really not sure what's going on since some of the rejections were for November. So I'm assuming that I have a strong chance of not rotating there at all, leaving me with the two auditions.
Many upperclassmen at my school have done up to 5 auditions. Am I in a really bad position here? Step 1 24x, Level 1 7xx, Step 2/Level 2 pending, passed CE. I've done some unpublished TBI research, and did a research-based master's thesis in a cognition related field. My only real volunteering experience is through crisis text line.

Are you a troll? What makes you think you’re in a bad position? You’re an above average DO applicant. Most DO applicants match so why would that put you in a bad position? You have solid scores who cares about auditions. Try to do one or 2 for letters then move on with your life...

VSAS allows you to specify how many you'd like to be accepted for - which was one rotation. I applied for 12 and ranked them in order of preference. They rejected all but my lowest preference,
Well if that is the case, this is a fairly strong negative message. I suggest sticking with it however. It is one thing to look at applications and reject people, it is completely different once you have met the person and worked with them. You will be fine either way.