FP and CAM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dynamite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
are there any physicians out there who use complementary and alternative medicine in their practice? i'm interested and i'm looking for the type of training you would do to be able to practice both conventional western medicine with eastern medicine. i know there's the program through university of arizona but that seems like a "through-the mail" kind of thing. is it possible to attend a more hands-on training while working in a practice? like an hour or so in the evenings? if so, what are the programs out there that offer this? there are some programs that offer masters degrees in oriental medicine but these are not geared toward physicians. anybody out there thinking about using CAM in their practice? and if so, how will you acquire the training? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

dynamite said:
are there any physicians out there who use complementary and alternative medicine in their practice? i'm interested and i'm looking for the type of training you would do to be able to practice both conventional western medicine with eastern medicine. i know there's the program through university of arizona but that seems like a "through-the mail" kind of thing. is it possible to attend a more hands-on training while working in a practice? like an hour or so in the evenings? if so, what are the programs out there that offer this? there are some programs that offer masters degrees in oriental medicine but these are not geared toward physicians. anybody out there thinking about using CAM in their practice? and if so, how will you acquire the training? thanks

There is a physician in Kingsport, Tn who is an FP who is very eclectic. He has a beard and hair down to his chest and back, braided, no tie (thats really why I like him :D ). He is the program director at ETSU Kingsport, and he knows a great deal about complimentary and alternative medicine. Her has written about it and published his works. The cool thing is that he tells his residents that they must be competent in traditional medicine in order to be able to practice CAM effectively. His favorite saying is one that I will never forget. It goes like this; "To be incredible, you must first be credible!!". His wife is a local aromatherapist, and he does a lot of workshops in CAM I have heard. I will be doing a visiting rotation there in the near future and hopefully I won't want to go anywhere else after that.

You had me sold you were a westerner? Anybody with their heart set on the tri-state area must be from the south. :D So maybe our paths will cross next year afterall. However, I lived in Knoxville for a while and probably won't go back to East TN, ...at least for now. Good luck. :thumbup:

Cristagali said:
You had me sold you were a westerner? Anybody with their heart set on the tri-state area must be from the south. :D So maybe our paths will cross next year afterall. However, I lived in Knoxville for a while and probably won't go back to East TN, ...at least for now. Good luck. :thumbup:

Quite possibly! I believe that will probably be the only eastern US program I will be applying to. You should interview there just to meet this guy! He is an MD who practices more like a DO. He is now the president of the Tennessee Academy Family Physicians as well. He is by far the most charismatic physician I have ever met. He is one of those guys that captures your attention during a speech, and then you look back and realize he has been talking for an hour. Go to the Kingsport site and read about him. Were he not there at this program, I would not even be considering it. I have no ties to Tennessee by any means, but this is simply one of those programs I have to take a closer look at. For some strange reason, 4 of my past schoolmates who have since graduated have made the trek there and chosen this program. And these were guys I like and trust a great deal.