FP-Urgent Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Axolotl

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently on a physician salary website. It listed FP w/ OB, FP w/out OB, FP-Sports med and FP-Urgent Care. Is FP-Urgent Care an actual subspecialty of FP and if so how does someone get there??? Is it like Emergency med???

Members don't see this ad.

urgent care isn't really a subspecialty. it's those dudes who work at the mall.

Axolotl said:
I was recently on a physician salary website. It listed FP w/ OB, FP w/out OB, FP-Sports med and FP-Urgent Care. Is FP-Urgent Care an actual subspecialty of FP and if so how does someone get there??? Is it like Emergency med???

any physician regardless of specialty can get a job at a uc. typical folks have a background in fp, er, or surgery but there is no restriction except having a license. lots of pa's and np's do this kind of work as well.
hours are good.shiftwork. no call. no inpatients. anyone too sick=transfer to er.lots of procedures and variety. similar to em but lower acuity overall however really sick folks do show up inappropriately-I have intubated folks and run codes at urgent care centers, pushed adenosine and cardizem, stabilized and transfered significant trauma, treated/transfered many mi's and cva's, etc. recently had a hypotensive ruptured ectopic pregnancy(stabilized and arranged direct transfer to o.r.).
pay for md/do = $60-80/hr typically so more than the avg for a standard fp outpt practice without ob.pay for pa/np= $35-65/hr.
hope that helps