Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

FPR

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by euhsa, May 10, 2000.

1. euhsa

euhsa Senior Member

Facilitated Positional Release is a big thing at our school since the inventor of the technique is also our Head Dean. I recently perused the Review book for OMM and did not find FPR. Can some students from other Osteopathic schools fill me in on whether this technique is even being taught at your school? If so, when? Thanks...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member

I have never heard of it. Can you describe it? Maybe it is taught under a different name.

4. Sounds like strain-counter strain or myofascial release under a different name?

5. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member

That's what I was thinking as well.

6. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member

Its taught the 2nd year at WesternU/COMP. FPR is very similar to the Still technique!!!

Rob
    WesternU/COMP MS II

7. bDOc03

bDOc03 Member

Euhsa,

Give us a run down on what it is. I have never heard of it either.

Hey UHS03......Congrats on finshing 1st year! And congrats to everybody who successfully completed 1st year. Have a good summer!

bDOc03

8. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member

Congrats to you too!! I'll see ya round next year!!

9. euhsa

euhsa Senior Member

Very interesting... FPR stands for Facilitated Positional Release and it is a passive indirect technique. A facilitating force, either compression or torsion, is added and the affected joint or muscle is placed into their "freedoms." This compression or torsion is usually applied for 5 seconds. A pillow is usually used to neutralize any curves (i.e. the lumbar lordosis when the technique involves a supine patient). Since the inventor of this technique is the dean of NYCOM, we have been responsible for this technique for every part of the body except the ribs.