FP's and the ER / Combined FM/EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
raptor5 said:
I would rather see a 2 year fellowship.

ABEM and ABFM have agreed how it's gonna be done. That's gonna be the shortest way to get double boarded.

Otherwise, two residencies. If you are already in a FM program, you'll need to find programs that are interested in training nontraditionals. Some PDs (me for instance) are willing to apply for credit to ABEM to shorten the residency. Rules are:

1. 2 years of ACGME accredited training within five years of starting the EM residency.
2. Up to six months of training can be forgiven, but the PD has to specify which months in the curriculum are being forgone, show which months form the FM program were equivalent and ABEM must approve.
3. EM months can't be forgiven.
4. All this must happen before the residency begins.

So the fastest you can get through without a combined residency is 5.5 years. And the PD has to be willing to go along.

Note, if you had decided that you didn't want to finish FM after two years of training, you still might be able to shorten an EM program to 2.5 years.

skypilot said:
https://www.theabfm.org/about/news.aspx

I wonder when they will roll these out?

There are probably programs that are interested in doing this, but I don't know who they are. Unless somebody is chomping at the bit and ready to go, I think it'll take at least two years to get a new combined program through both boards.

I believe that John Peter Smith in Fort Worth would like to do this, but they don't have an EM program.

raptor5 said:
I would rather see a 2 year fellowship.
there is a 2 year ER fellowship after FP...check out the program in Jackson, TN. Not sure if there are any more......

Neither OU Tulsa or TN allow you to become EM boarded after fellowship. We have seemed to have done a 360 back to a post from last month.