Fractures, etc. on step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

copingmethods

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking through FA while we're doing musculoskeletal, and I see very little in FA regarding types of fractures, tendonitis, bursitis etc. compared to what we go over in class. Is this representative of step 1? How are these types of questions asked on step 1?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't remember much of that on the test.

I WOULD remember - most common ligaments strained, which would be affected given a traumatic foot eversion/exversion, etc. Standard RICE protocols. Recognizing the fractures that lead to avascular necrosis (scaphoid), yadda yadda.

Fracture management (surgery vs. simple casting/splinting) is more of a step 2/3 question.

Recognize a fracture on an x-ray and be able to identify the bone.

Recognize a spiral fracture and understand the underlying mechanism of that fracture.

Should be easy points. Not a big part of any of the Steps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't taken the test so grain of salt and all that...

I've seen a decent number of the common fracture/nerve injury combos (e.g. proximal humerus/axillary nerve and midshaft humerus/radial nerve) as ways of testing musculo-skeletal

Haven't taken the test so grain of salt and all that...

I've seen a decent number of the common fracture/nerve injury combos (e.g. proximal humerus/axillary nerve and midshaft humerus/radial nerve) as ways of testing musculo-skeletal

Agreed, at least for Kaplan QBank. The anatomy questions are almost always brachial plexus injuries/humeral fractures in which you need to determine which nerve was likely damaged, and then from there determine which random muscle of the hand that nerve also serves.