Franklin Pierce-AZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptaz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information about this program? This is the only school that I applied to that I know little about. I am going to try and set up a visit soon but was just looking for others opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

I would also like to know more about the program, I just got my acceptance letter but couldn't find any information regarding their pass rates :/ I know that they're accredited but I couldn't find any other statistics

Letter or email? I havent heard anything since november
I would also like to know more about the program, I just got my acceptance letter but couldn't find any information regarding their pass rates :/ I know that they're accredited but I couldn't find any other statistics

Members don't see this ad :)
This program is in the middle of nowhere in AZ. That is all I know about this program.

To be fair, it's only three years being in the middle of nowhere to get your career of choice underway. I'm sure you're going to be spending all your time studying anyway. That being said, a lot of their clinical affiliations are probably also in Arizona, so it may pose more difficulties to get a job in an area that you prefer after graduating and receiving your license.

I lived in Glendale AZ, I used to drive by Goodyear on my way back to California. I never saw the campus or much of the city of Goodyear. I am sure it is fine program. The view of the city from the freeway did not look good.

I lived in Glendale AZ, I used to drive by Goodyear on my way back to California. I never saw the campus or much of the city of Goodyear. I am sure it is fine program. The view of the city from the freeway did not look good.
Wouldn't call it middle of nowhere its 15 minutes from Westgate ( Cardinals stadium)

I'll try to clear up any information about the program and Goodyear. I am currently student at FPU and I chose to come here over 5 other schools, and thrilled about my choice. Goodyear does not have that middle of no where feeling to me, especially since Westgate, Phoenix, and Tempe are a short drive. I too was nervous about the pass rates, but I later found out that since the program started in 2009, there has yet to be a single FPU-AZ student who hasn't passed their boards on their first attempt. That being said, the school has high standards and require you to score an 83% in every class or they will not hesitate to let you go, but with all the individual attention you receive with the small class size, dropouts are a rare occurrence. If once does happen to fail out, they automatically offer you a seat for next years class, but you shouldn't have to worry about this as long as you keep up with your studies. The school is a bit pricy compared to other programs, but I have no doubt that they are preparing me to be a successful PT.

Thanks for the info. I ended up turning down the offer just because of the price. It does seem to be a good program though!

That's understandable, the tuition cost is the main complaint about FPU.

To answer the question above about our clinical affiliations, you are able to set them up in any state you choose as long as the clinic will take you in. You are even able to complete them at clinics that you did you observation hours in just as long as you weren't ever a paid employee.

I was accepted here but I am trying to decide if I should hold out for my wait list spot at NAU. What kind of facilities are there? I heard that they are sharing space with a community college? What about cadavers?

FPU has their own building that is not shared with anyone else. The only time you go to the community college (Glendale CC) is in your first term and it's only once a week, and it's to use their plastinates lab. In case you're not familiar with plastinates, it's where water and fat are replaced by certain plastics, yielding specimens that do not smell and still retain most properties of the original sample. They are what you would see in the body's exhibit basically, and these are used instead of cadavers.

Do you feel that this will hinder your capabilities as a effective PT? I was really looking forward to the real thing . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't feel like it has hurt at all. I had a cadaver lab at my undergrad and I can't tell the difference minus the smell. The muscles, nerves, veins, arteries, and organs are all real. Plus I value the extra hours I have to study the plantinates instead of spending all that time dissecting a cadaver. As a PT we do not perform surgeries, so why is it relevant to know how to make a proper incision in a cadaver? I'm sure there are others who will disagree with me, but that's my own personal opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted here but I am trying to decide if I should hold out for my wait list spot at NAU. What kind of facilities are there? I heard that they are sharing space with a community college? What about cadavers?
Unless it's changed, FPU's non-refundable deposit is relatively small so have you considered accepting the FPU offer (and paying the deposit) then if NAU accepts you, rescind your FPU acceptance? You shouldn't fool around and risk losing the FPU offer for an NAU offer that may never come.

P.S. I am a recent FPU grad and I would encourage you not to write it off. It's an excellent program, has nice facilities and a very good faculty.

I was accepted to FPU in January and already paid my deposit. It's just that I live in Mesa, so it would be a bit of a commute. NAU Phoenix is much closer. But I'm not in the best position on their wait list so it will be cutting it close, if it happens at all.

I was accepted to FPU in January and already paid my deposit. It's just that I live in Mesa, so it would be a bit of a commute. NAU Phoenix is much closer. But I'm not in the best position on their wait list so it will be cutting it close, if it happens at all.
Yes I can understand the commute issue - I was in that position while I attended FPU as well and drive was not very fun. But, if it makes financial sense, you may be able to share an apartment in Goodyear/Avondale with someone in your class. In my class, everyone (except me) was from out of state and lived close to the FPU campus in apartments so if you ultimately do attend FPU, that may be an option which avoids driving across the Valley to class. BTW, since you live in Mesa, I assume you applied to A.T. Still?

Well the problem is that I have a family, and I would rather not move if I can help it. Yes I applied to AT Still, but I never heard back from them after I submitted the secondary application. I emailed them for a follow up and they said they were still sorting through applicants. So I don't know if I've been rejected or what. Kind of unprofessional in my opinion to leave it hanging like that.

Well the problem is that I have a family, and I would rather not move if I can help it. Yes I applied to AT Still, but I never heard back from them after I submitted the secondary application. I emailed them for a follow up and they said they were still sorting through applicants. So I don't know if I've been rejected or what. Kind of unprofessional in my opinion to leave it hanging like that.
I had a similar experience with A.T. Still (i.e. long silence, explanation that they were still reviewing apps, etc.) but they ultimately did offer me admission. So, don't give up on them yet.

So why did you choose FPU over ATSU?
Beyond the fact that the drive to FPU was a bit shorter than to ATSU, I liked the small class size at FPU (23 when we started, 18 graduated). It worked out well for me in that regard as the professors were quite available and responsive and I never felt like a 'face in the crowd' at FPU. Also, as someone mentioned above, they really work with you on your 3rd year full time clinical placements - they will attempt to sign up clinical sites of your choosing as long as it fits with their requirements for varied CE experiences.

Last edited:
Thank you. One more question—is a drop of 7 classmates typical?

Thank you. One more question—is a drop of 7 classmates typical?
I don't know about "typical" but I believe the classes that went through ahead of me also lost a few. In our class, two people transferred to other programs and the remainder left the program.
P.S. I just remembered, we had 23 students in my class when we started, not 25. Sorry.

Last edited:
I was accepted to FPU today. I'm going to look in a couple weeks and decide then.

I just received my acceptance letter in an email. I am presented with the dilemma of choosing between the Manchester NH campus and the Goodyear AZ campus. Does anyone have any information on the differences between campuses? Does the NH campus have better faculty since its the main campus? How are the facilities (Labs, classrooms, study rooms)? Or is the AZ campus more appealing since it is new and fresh? They do not seem to have much information on the website about the differences in campuses. The curriculum seems to be identical. If the two schools are identical curriculum/faculty/facility wise then I think I will choose AZ over NH due to weather. ANY information would help. Thanks!

The NH PT program building is not on their main campus. When I was accepted to FPU last year, they recently moved from Concord to Manchester, which I believe are both about a 2 hour drive from the main campus. I chose AZ due to the smaller class size compared to NH, the weather is much nicer, and living is cheap in AZ (at least compared to where I'm from)

This program is in the middle of nowhere in AZ. That is all I know about this program.

Lol don't worry, this is a city of 4 million people and Goodyear is just kind of on the edge of it. 20 years ago it was in the middle of nowhere, now it's just another part of the city.