FRAP on DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STACM

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, is the FRAP question on the DAT a stand alone science question concerning FRAP, or is it an RC passage on FRAP?

Members don't see this ad.

hopefully wont get my 2nd warning to help out a newb but it is just a question in science. YEah and on sdn they dont like u to talk tooo specfic but something this broad i dont see a prob

somthing that deals with molecules moving once certain wavelength of light hits cell. Used for mapping.

I did not have this test but from what I've heard it is a question in the bio section and also is the test with the ethics passage, which really is a bummer I guess. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I think this is how it goes. The entire bio test I was just hoping not to get the FRAP question only because I didn't want the ethics passage.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get the "dreaded test" it is only dreaded if you believe so in your mind. Double edge sword for knowing more than you should know, eh?

Exactly, dang SDN. But even if you are confident about it, many people have said it is a very tough passage and I believe it because tone questions and inferences are things not found word for word in the passages, which is what the science passages are.

FRAP is Fluorescent Recovery After Photobleaching. I don't understand what the big deal is if they ask a bio question on it?? It's a biochemical lab technique to "view" the movement of proteins or molecules. In recent literature, it has been used to view proteins moving down the axon, aka axonal transport. B/c of this technique, scientists have broken down axonal transport into retrograd and anterograde motion (fast and slow, and toward or away from the soma). If you are studying for Biology, whats the big deal if they ask question on this? How does this correlate to having a "dreaded test"?

FRAP is Fluorescent Recovery After Photobleaching. I don't understand what the big deal is if they ask a bio question on it?? It's a biochemical lab technique to "view" the movement of proteins or molecules. In recent literature, it has been used to view proteins moving down the axon, aka axonal transport. B/c of this technique, scientists have broken down axonal transport into retrograd and anterograde motion (fast and slow, and toward or away from the soma). If you are studying for Biology, whats the big deal if they ask question on this? How does this correlate to having a "dreaded test"?

I think most people would miss this question if it appeared on their test. I, for one, would miss it because I dont really recall studying much about it. I also think people with the Frap question also have the dreaded ethics passage, which is supposedly much harder than the other passages.

so if people dont have a ethical passage, what do they have? another social or lilterture passage?

I've been studying from the Kaplan blue book, Schaums Bio, Cliffs Bio, MCAT biology, Topscore, Acheiver, and Destroyer...not coming across FRAP in any of them. Thats why I'm personally concerned about it being on the test.

Has someone come across it in any of these materials?

I had 3 science passages. None of that ethics/non-science stuff. It also seems many people are very scared about the FRAP question. I would just look at it briefly because your time would be spent much better reviewing more material. It is only one question, and if you sacrifice time or other material you may still get the FRAP question wrong and more of the rest of the bio section.

http://www.bio.davidson.edu/Courses/Molbio/FRAPx/FRAP.html

Explains FRAP. HOWEVER... the last question on the page is asked in a way to make it seem obvious that you should know the answer.

"What would you predict for the percent recovery and lateral mobility for large multi-subunit integral membrane proteins that are not anchored to the cytoskeleton?"

Unfortunately, I do not quite understand it. Based on the words "mobility" and "not anchored" I would guess "high percent recovery", but why would there be a high percent recovery as a "large multi-subunit integral membrane protein". Unless I'm wrong.

Anyone understand this?

Damn, I DO want that ethics passage because I always read the text first, and it will be much easier to remember what the passage says about ethics rather than asome bizzare molecule's name. I want it! [Not the CRAP [I mean FRAP] question though]

Can someone help us out with the above question:

"What would you predict for the percent recovery and lateral mobility for large multi-subunit integral membrane proteins that are not anchored to the cytoskeleton?"

And how hard can this question possibly be, do they ask to apply frap and predict whether the recovery would be fast or slow or how fast an integral or peripheral protein would move, thats my guess?