Fraternity..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chromuffin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any future/current anesthesiologists alum of a fraternity? Current MS4 and didn’t know how/if your alumni ever helped your career? I know when I rushed they said “we will help your future” so much I believed it. Whether it’s been true or not I don’t know. So far it’s just been great party discussion with former fraternal brothers..

Members don't see this ad.

Any future/current anesthesiologists alum of a fraternity? Current MS4 and didn’t know how/if your alumni ever helped your career? I know when I rushed they said “we will help your future” so much I believed it. Whether it’s been true or not I don’t know. So far it’s just been great party discussion with former fraternal brothers..

I heard if you do the Illuminati's secret handshake at your Ivy interviews they add 40 points to your Step 1 score.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It only matters if you are a member of a sorority. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
To answer your question: I did interview prep with some anaesthesia residents I know through "my fraternity." One of my interview panel members was a "fraternal brother." And I frequently see my "fraternal brothers" at work. Three of my closest friends were "fraternal brothers" and they are now surgeons who I hope to work with once I enter private practice. It has played some role in my professional life.

However, I'm not sure how things work in Amercia. in Australia it's very common for doctors to have been born, studied medicine, and then go on to work in the same city. Therefore networking during medical school is a fantastic opportunity. Medical schools have "pseudo-fraternities" or "secret" branches of their medical school societies that are involved in the more risque or controversial aspects of medical school life.

They are all-inclusive groups meant to support and nurture growth and friendship, but they do so in a fairly inappropriate fashion (alcohol). There is no bullying allowed, no "pledges," absolutely no drugs. The societies are a fairly accurate representation of the medical population as a whole in terms of minorities, sexual orientation, etc. It's just a bunch of guys (or the girl-only equivalents) that get together to play drinking games and then go into town after to meet up with their fraternity/sorority coupling.

I met my wife through our medical school's "fraternity/sorority" combo. And the "secret societies" made my years at medical school the greatest years of my life; all of my closest friends (including my wife) are from that time period. I just signed up so I had something to do on Friday nights and didn't believe it would ever lead to much or be something that I would come to seriously enjoy. By the time I finished medical school I had had enough of the excessive drinking and moved on, but the friends I made during those years still stuck.

Reactions: 1 users

Attachments

• 7C04CFFF-5613-49E8-A5B3-067D4DA015C9.gif
    7C04CFFF-5613-49E8-A5B3-067D4DA015C9.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

Back story to the origin of the post?.. I was hanging out with a bunch of fraternity brothers and realized that I was part of a network that I’ve never actually utilized. Hence why my post was at 2 AM EST.